News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Weight gain and frequent diarrhea

luvmyholley - Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 pm

I am 29 and I have had this problem for over 2 months. When I eat, and it doesnt matter what it is that I eat, I have an urgency to use the bathroom. Most of the time before even finishing my meal. I don't really have any stomach upset, just feel the cramping about 5 seconds before having to bolt to the bathroom. I am also gaining weight during all of this. Since this started I have gained about 25 pounds. I have not changed my diet in any way, in fact have been eating less, because I know that I will have to make a bee line to the bathroom. I am terrified to go out to eat and will refuse to go anywhere after I eat. I do have an appointment to be seen by a gastroenternologist, but not for 3 weeks, and am so nervous, looking for some sort of advice. This has totally taken control of my life.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:01 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Several fairly benign potential causes of this come to mind first: celiac disease (gluten intolerance) is one; iritable bowel syndrome (IBS, an often stress-related problem); and, on the more serious end (but still usually manageable), Chron's disease or some similar inflamatory bowel problem.

These are the most common causes of "rapid gut" symptoms such as you describe, and they are all manageable via different therapeutic approaches, although inflammatory bowel disease can sometimes become more complicated over time and require more invasive care.

The odd thing about all three is that while one would expect to see weight loss, in fact weight gain is frequently associated (though not always).

I hope this is helpful and that by now you've seen the gastroenterologist and have gotten relatively good (simple) news. I hope you'll follow up with us here and update us as to what you've learned. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here