Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hida scan results 18% but not gallbladder symptoms

allsmiles - Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:19 pm

I have a pain in my right quadrant. I have been experiencing this pain for 10 years and have learned to deal with it. Started running and couldn't deal with it anymore. Had a CT scan that showed my kidney was ballooned up with urine. Had surgery to cut out bad part and repair squeezed ureter. Surgery took care of some of the pain but not all of the pain. Doctor thought maybe gallbladder because fatty foods (big fat juicy steaks and milk products) produce pain. Ultrasound showed no stones and HIDAscan revealed gallbladder has 18% function. I am not experiencing chills,nausea, vomitting, or shoulder pain, sometimes the pain goes from my side(right in the middle) to my lower back (Lymph node area rt side only) sometimes to under my ribs, it has never gone up to my shoulder blades. After I work out. I have an ache in the middle. After sitting for over an hour, I experience aching in the lymph node area as well. After standing I cannot move whole lower back (think this is out of shape though)Woke up with huge dull ache right in the middle, had two large bm's and pain is gone. I do not handle alcolhol well either. When I do have too many (4 drinks) I vomit all the next day(yellow) Do I need to have my gallbladder removed? My doctor that diagnosed my kidney as a cyst says I do and doesn't guarentee that this is even the cause of my pain. I don't feel that My symptoms are matching gallbladder symptoms that I find on the internet. The 2 large bm's this morning and then pain leaving make me think not on the gallbladder as well. Milk bothers me and potatoes, but am able to eat processed foods with no pain.Fresh vegies and fruit do not produce any pain, but I do love meat. not pork.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:31 am

You mention that the gall bladder function is 18%. i wonder if you are referring to a gall bladder ejection fraction of 18%?.

Cholescintiscans (HIDA scans) are known to have significant false positive and false negative results.Therfore, should be interpreted with caution.

Pain of acute cholecystitis and biliary colic do not always follow the 'Text book' description of their symptomatology.They are known to sometimes present with epigastric(rather than right hypochondrial)pain and the classical description of pain being referred to the right scapula or the right shoulder may not be always present.

If your HIDA scan showed an ejection fraction of 18%, it is likely to be indicative of s 'gall bladder dyskinesia'. Even if one does not have symptoms,this kind of a
gall bladder predisposes one to gall stone disease.

|