News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: nausea,cramping and diherrea within 30 minutes of eating

debbiestopaz - Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,I am 44 years and for the past couple of months or so I have noticed that within 30 minutes or so after eating I get a little nausead and start cramping and having diherrea after eating it doesn't seem to matter how much or little or what the food is i still feel this way,Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
thank you , debbie
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hello -

This postprandial or reflex diarrhea is usually caused by one of two things: either irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or celiac disease, an intolerance of gluten. There are several ways of managing this problem, including trying to eliminate different foods from the diet to see if the problem abates in the absence of one or more foods. This can be impractical or inconvenient, so celiac disease can be ruled out or in via a blood test.

IBS is another problem, and while sometimes adding fiber to the diet may help, it may sometimes also worsen the symptoms. Probably a better plan would be to try and eliminate as many fatty foods as possible. If this has no appreciable effect, then maybe try taking an anti-diarrheal medication pre-emptively (something such as loperimide, brand name Imodium).

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here