Question: V Painful bowel movements/odd pains during Period.

Moonflower - Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:30 am

Hi there. I'm 37, f, never had children. Hubby's been snipped, so pregnancy is outruled.

About 6 months ago, i started getting very odd pains during my periods. I almost want to say it's like gas.....but much worse. It feels like I'm really full of air and I have a hard time sitting down, or moving quickly, or even relaxing. I thought it might be tampons, so I've tried to use them less. I also started getting very constipated during my periods around that same time.

About 2 months ago, after one of those awful periods, when I had a bowel movement I felt a very distinct pain in MY lower right abdomen (if you were looking at me, it would be the left side). The pain is very close to my thigh, right in that little area. It feels like something is being either tugged or pulled, or that something is being dragged against something that shouldn't be there. This happens every time I have a bowel movement, and it seems to be getting worse and alwyas in the exact same spot.

I don't know why, but I do not like the National Health System here. And, although I dread seeing a DR in this country (UK) I have made an appointment - but i still have to wait about a month more to be seen.

I'm very worried. Any ideas on what this could be?

Christina (a michigan girl, now living in England)
 Moonflower - Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:19 am

Have i posted this is the wrong place???

Christina
 ChronicMystery - Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:19 am

Hi Christina,

The first thing that comes to my mind is endometriosis, which I had since age 15 (I'm 29 now) and still have depsite a hysterectomy (it's on my bowel, ligaments, etc.). Anyways, I'm not saying that you have it, but it's a possibility. One of the most painful symptoms with "endo" is painful periods, especially with gas build-up and painful bowel movements which can be horrible! Sometimes the "endo" invades your bowel. Endometriosis can also be associated with painful intercourse. I would say the best thing is to see a gynecologist and check into getting a laprascopy to investigate (if this persists) because that is really the only way to know what's going on down there.

No here are some tips that might help you with your periods:

- Buy some "Beano" and start taking the full dose about 1-2 days before your period starts and during to help with the gas. Don't worry, Beano is natural and friendly. Research it if you don't know what it is.
- This may sound odd, but when you have a bowel movement, try and squat on the toilet if you can, positioning yourself in the most confortable way possible. This won't relieve all the pain, but may help ease things. You might even want to invest in some stool softeners to help make the bowel movements easier during your periods.

If nothing else, these things could help until you see a gynecologist who can help you determine the cause.

Please note that I am NOT a doctor and only offering a suggestion.

Good luck!
C.

|