News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach problems for over a month

treyj21 - Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm not 100% sure if this is where I should post this, but I'm going to give it a try. For the past 3 weeks, I've had stomach pains and an upset stomach. Stool has been loose, etc. The doctors did blood work and stool culture test, and all came back negative for anything. Today, I had a pretty solid stool, but it was extremely dark and had a very bad odor. Does anyone know what could be wrong with me? The doctors won't give me any type of medicine because they aren't sure whats wrong. I developed a cold on Wednesday, and now, thats all they seem to care about. They gave me a perscription for that, and thats not even why I was at the doctor's office. Thanks a lot for any help, Trey.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:52 pm

User avatar Hello,
This sound to be due to gastroenteritis (mostly viral).
Gastroenteritis affects both the stomach and the intestines.
Patients usually present with nausea, abdominal pain, fever and diarrhea.

Causes include infections, allergy and medications. The most common causes are viral followed by bacterial infections. Viruses and bacteria are transmitted by food or water.

Tests include stool analysis and culture although may not be needed in mild attacks. Gastroenteritis is usually self-limiting and the main treatment is supportive to control symptoms and prevent dehydration. Antibiotics are prescribed when bacterial infection is the cause.

Other causes to be excluded include Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, food intolerance, inflammatory changes in the wall of the intestine and malabsorption.

Having your symptoms improved is reassuring, however follow up with your doctor is essential.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here