News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: hard bony lump below sternum

Alvaro - Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 pm

I´ve had some gastric trouble over the last year,mild nausea, abdominal pain and gastresophagial reflux...Now right below my sternum I ve found this hard body that seems to be almos t as hard as bone (almost ,as it might be a bit softer than bone) . It can t be moved when touched and does not cause pain ,except when pushed a little harder.What can it be? Could it be ralated to the gastric symptoms I show ? Thanks a lot for this service.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is very difficult to tell what this lump could be without direct clinical examination.
What I can think of according to your description is that it may be related to the bone like the lower end of the sternum or the attached rib, or a subcutaneous mass like lipoma.

Sometimes after losing weight the sternum (or part of it, upper or lower end) become more prominent and can be felt as a lump, however the lump is felt as hard, not mobile, in continuation with the sternum.

While lipoma is felt as a soft to firm mass, that is mobile, with well defined border.

It might be also just a contracted muscle.

As you can see direct clinical examination and any associated symptoms or signs are very essential in the diagnosis of any lump.

I would advise you to seek direct clinical examination, to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here