News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: i am producing a gas-like odor

mish036 - Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:13 pm

i don't process any foods well but dairy in particular and foods with lots of preservatives give me diahrea. sometimes, i release gas without realizing it until i smell an odor. i'm very stressed at work and i think that possibly is causing this problem or at least making it worse. could there be a psychological reason behind my problem?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:27 am

User avatar Dear mish036,
You probably experience a form of indigestion which may be manifested in the form of pain in the stomach (burning,-hunger pain), heartburn, abdominal pain, distension, belching and gas, nausea, vomiting, acidic taste and sometimes diarrhoea.
It might be related to certain Diet such as milk, milk products as you described or to medications like analgesics. Indigestion can be due to intestinal parasites including amebiasis and also a symptom of disorders in other body systems like diabetes, thyroid disease or gall stones.
Indigestion might associate or get worsen with emotional stress in many people. In females it can be a symptom of genital tract disorder (pelvic inflammatory disease) or associated with pregnancy.
For the moment you better recognize the type of food that cause you these symptoms and avoid them. Eat small meals and slowly. You better also, avoid food with preservatives, citrus fruits and tomatoes. Avoid also caffeine, and caffeine containing beverages. Smoking also aggravates the condition and should be avoided.
In ability to process food properly or indigestion is a nonspecific symptom, if the condition is persistent or recurrent enough to make you feel sick, you better visit your doctor since even the history does not always help in this case to define the diagnosis. Better evaluation with examination and diagnostic studies, would help your doctor to recommend you the specific medical care.
Good luck,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here