Question: Sharp rectal pain from playing hockey

hockeygoalie33 - Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi, I'm a 19 year old male who plays alot of hockey, and I play goalie. If you are not really familiar with the sport and the position of goalie, it involves being on the ground alot and spreading out your legs to block the net. I do alot of stretching before I play to stretch out all the leg muscles I use when I'm playing to make sure I won't pull anything. However, about a month ago, in mid-August during a game I made a save in which I somehow stretched further than my body really should be able to, and almost doing a split on the rink (which I never was able to do all my life). Ever since then when I play I have experienced sharp rectal pains when I am in positions that I suppose use muscles around the anus/rectum. Initially I thought I might have pulled a muscle or something of that nature and the pain would eventually go away. Now it has been over a month and I still feel the same pains while playing, maybe even a little sharper than they were before. I am starting to become concerned that this might be something pretty serious?

I have never had any problems with my anus and rectum, there is no bleeding or anything ever coming out of my anus, and there are no other symptoms besides the pain.

I am hoping someone will be able to help me solve this problem and give me advice with seeking medical attention if necessary.

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 pm

It sounds as though you must have pulled something, and there are some muscles which don't often get that kind of stretching out of the blue. The deep transverse perineal muscle and a few others in the neighborhood can be pulled by maneuvers such as you describe. The later pains without any bathroom issues attached suggest you may have injured a nerve in the process of this one maneuver. There is a condition that sometimes occurs even without prior trauma, called proctalgia fugax, which may be triggered by something like this. and causes muscle cramps and pains in the rectum.

Since it's been going on for a month this probably warrants an exam, even though it sounds like there are no associated symptoms that would suggest a serious injury. Best to be safe, and besides, who needs the pain?

I hope this is helpful to you. Follow up with us here as needed.

|