Question: Abdominal pain w. distention for 6 months

milla - Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Why can cause ab pain/distention for 6 months?
Hello everyone, great support this forum here.
I have looked around to see some similar cases to mine, but couldn't really find any.

I don't know where to start, at this point I could cry or scream maybe someone will hear and help me.
I've got this pain in my stomach for 6months now. I feel neglected at my clinic and they don't seem to pay attention to details. I'm scared and don't know what to think. This is the reason I try to put All my symptoms, maybe it will make more sense if put together.

Female, 31yo, 5'6" 114-118 lb. Good appetite, eat healthy, fibrous meals, "cheat days" on weekends, daily exercise. Get full feeling easily but I am still hungry.
No previous digestion problems.
Ovarian cysts found around 6 months ago, cycle irregular, 5 months btw. current and last.(pcos suspected) Not my current issue.
No vomiting, nausea rarely and only recently -in the mornings while I am :still" asleep. (not pregnant and not active)
No diarrhea or constipation.
Funny feeling in throat sometimes, like something climbing up and then sliding down.
Headache -never had headache.
Sometimes I have to pout extra salt on my food, just tastless even when I thin I put enough.
Pea size ball behind left ear for years, sometimes get bigger, than shrinks back to almost normal, little pain around it.
Some concentration issues, mood swings.
Some smaller spider veins on legs, sm. broken vessels (dots) on arms.
Sometimes my calves cramp in the mornings.
I get tired/sleepy during the day.(sleep well)

Pain for 6 months upper abd. kind of sharp, lower around belly is sort of dull and like heavy weights are inside, pressing down and out. Stomach fully distended. When I gain weight, I do not gain on stomach but on thighs, so I know it's not fat. Past few days pain in chest and around breasts.
Pain: sitting is the worse, laying on couch I do not feel it (and I do get dizzy sometimes), laying on stomach is the best, I feel it when I run and even when I just walking on street.

H.Pylori test negative, too Nexium for 3 weeks, made it sort of worse, took Doperidone changed nothing. Taken maalox, mylanta but now I know it didn't help. Phazyme used to help a little in the beginning.

Full ab ultrasound: tech. says somewhat larger liver Dr. says it's normal..There is a "dead area" stripe around navel that has never been scanned, where I have the pain and fullness. (between ovaries and belly button)

Blood tests few months ago: No diabetes/glucose normal, no cealiac. Dr. says everything is normal, but I don't find it this way:
Glyco hgb 5.8%; A1c 5.1; MBG 93mg
Syphillis igG non reactive
DHEA-Sulfate: 200
Rubella IgG:reactive; Ab INTR: React
I only put the ones in here where I found L. or underscore
RBC 4.20; Hgb 12.6; Hct 37.6; Mch 30.1; Eos % 0.3 Eos # 0.0

Thank you SO much, and I appreciate any input!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You've had a lot of workup done already, all negative, but of course there's still that "dead area", and since that's where the problem seems to manifest, someone's left a part of the job undone.

You could have chronic gastritis due to hyper- or hypoacidity, so this needs checking. The extreme end of the spectrum of gastritis is gastric ulcer, but it can also be the opposite if there's not enough acid being produced. The best way to determine this is via a gastroscopy, a procedure in which a tiny camera is passed down the esophagus and into the stomach for a few moments so the doctor can look around in there. This is great for finding all sorts of problems that can cause the sort of symptoms you describe. If this yields nothing it might also be suggested you have a colonoscopy done (the same basic process, but approached from the opposite end of the digestive tract). Neither is a big deal anymore, although the colonoscopy does require some at-hom, day-before preparation that's some find annoying.

Hopefully between these studies would not all be necessary, but they might well help find what's causing all this fuss in there, and you've been putting up with it for long enough. If your clinic staff has lost interest you may want to see a dedicated ENT specialist.

Best of luck to you with this. Please follow up here as needed.

|