News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdominal Pain - Constipation

ScubaSteve - Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:47 am

Symptoms:
∙Had a "tearing sensation" followed by a "warming sensation" in the lateral lower abdomen while trying to have a bowl movement
∙Dull sensation (uncomfortable) left oblique, feels like it is around the transversus abdominus muscle (in depth) down to where it nearly meets the pectinius muscle
∙Dull sensation (uncomfortable) on the exterior lowest left rib (May not be related)
∙Stool is firm yet unformed (not a full healthy stool sample) comes out in bits instead of a single log.
∙Gas is a regular occurrence

Previous Medical history:
Depression
∙ADD
Anxiety

Medications (M) / Vitamins (V):
(M) ∙Just started on Wellbutrin (300mg)
(V) ∙Acedopholis
(V) ∙Omega 3 (2000mg)
(V) ∙Adapton (200mg)
(V) ∙ Berry Extracts
(V) ∙ Grape Seed Extracts
(V) ∙ Rhodiola
(V) ∙ Co Q10 (100mg)
(V) ∙ DMAE (390 mg)

Currently receiving Neurofeedback as a treatment for my medical history.

Suggestions thus far from my psychiatrist said that it may be a hernia. I am thinking a femoral hernia if it is such. He said that I should have a surgeon cut me open or do a colonoscopy.

I am looking for other possible answers to this problem to present to my doctor when I see him again.

ScubaSteve
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

From your description of the onset, it does sound as though there's at least a good chance that something herniated. A colonoscopy might be helpful, but a barium enema or even a CT scan with contrast may do the trick. If there's no herniation evident then a colonoscopy would be more likely to be required to rule out some other problem in the colon.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here