News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Recurring pain below and right of my navel.

angus - Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 am

Hi!

for the last month and a half I have been experiencing a dull burning/tearing/acid pain on the right side of my lower abdomen, below the navel. It doesn't feel like cramps and is temporarily relieved by sitting or standing still.

The first time I felt it, it felt like a tearing sensation while I was stretching and after a few hours went away. For days at a time there is no pain and I can move etc as normal. I can't pinpoint any action or activity that sets it off although possibly eating, but not always? and it can come at any time. The pain is slowly getting worse and lasting longer when it does come comes.

I cannot touch it with my finger or make the pain any worse or better by pushing the area. 4 months ago I was treated for epididymitus (SP?) and for a while after that my stabalising/core muscles felt sore and my bladder felt bloated. This still occurs occassionally. (perhaps related?) could appendicites last so long or a hernia?

Thanks for the help!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 pm

User avatar Hello -

Appendicitis can actually sometimes drag on without reaching some sort of crescendo for some time, so this should be ruled out, although you seem to have done that by pressing on the area without eliciting any rebound pain (not a guarantee, but it is at least classic to have rather remarkable pain upon pressing and then releasing the affected area). A hernia could cause symptoms indefinitely, at least until it eventually strangulates, which then becomes a medical emergency. The fact that movement seems to cause this pain or at least that not moving seems to relieve it suggests a possible mechanical problem such as a hernia or adhesion of some sort.

Epididymitis itself could cause this sort of pain were it still present, due to referral of pain up into the abdomen on the affected side, so that's also something to consider, especially since there is an actual known history of this.

Please plan to see an internist soon, as this must be at best interfering with your normal activities, and pain of this intensity is intended to let us know something isn't right in there. It is impossible to say at a distance what it is, but I've been able to offer a few educated guesses. There's no substitute, in a situation like this, for a hands-on exam.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you. Please follow up as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here