Question: Colon Surgery and Recovery

mgr - Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:04 pm

My colorectal surgeon wants to perform an anterior resection (redundant colon)with rectopexy (poor muscles = prolapse) and uretal stents. Even though it's laproscopic, she said in-hospital time is 5-7 days, and 4-6 weeks recovery time. Why is the recovery so long compared to what I've seen on the web re: laproscopic resections? What can I and can't I do during the recovery, and is it feasible when I have nobody at home to help?

Thanks so much
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:12 pm

The area being repaired is somewhat fragile to begin with, and after a surgical repair, even though laparoscopic, will require some special care initially, followed by gradual return to a normal diet. Gravity also plays a potential adversarial role during healing, as well as possible "fast gut" syndrome, which, if you experience will have you wanting to not be too far from the bathroom at times.

If you happen to be an unusually fast healer, both the hospital stay and the rest of the recuperative period could wind up being shortened, but this is, I would say, a reasonably conservative estimate for post-op healing and complete return to normal. It also will likely be considered well worth it once you're fully recovered.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 mgr - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm

|