Question: where is the bowel located-- treatment for pelvic pain

problems101 - Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi

Where is the bowel located, I have pelvic pain but the obgyn says go to gastro. . .

I've been dealing with pelvic pain on my left side, I went for my anual obgyn pap & showed him that my pain specialist is treating me with lupron & showed him my pain diary to get a second opinion. He said you're having pain & 2 injections of lupron isn't helping you really need to go back & see the gastro doctor.

I had my ilionguinal nerve block shot 2 days later & he told me this is a chronic issue, it's not a gastro issue it's possible a nerve thing & lupron is working because the pain flare ups are when I'm doing activities like mowing.

If I decide to go back to the gastro doctor. This pelvic pain is in my front left side between my belly button & hip. Is the bowel in that area? I would think the bowel would be more in the back.

Can bowel trouble mimic pain in the front like where my ovary would be?

thanks
d
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:06 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Yes, the bowel, the formal bowel, anyway, the last length of the colon, is located in that area, and more often than not pain originating in it would be felt there, which makes the problem more confusing because much of the gut (large and small intestine, actually) occupy virtually the same space as the ovaries, etc. They are similarly innervated, too. Gynological pain can trigger reflex bowel symptoms sometimes, even. For this reason, the referral to a GI specialist isn't unreasonable, everything else being equal.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 problems101 - Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi, thanks for you earlier replies, I went for a 3rd opion today & Got a 3rd opinion. I was hoping for a tie breaker, but no luck. So my pelvic pain, which I had been told no endo by 2 obgyn's even with a laproscopy, this new obgyn did a rectovaginal exam & believes that this endo is deep inside with very little evidence on the surface & therefore missed by previous obgyns, but she wants bowel prep for this and she said that it's possible for the endo to be on bowel.

If it's there can it be cleaned off or could this be a more major surgery than I'm thinking? Do they cut out part of the bowel for endo?

thanks again, This is 1 1/2 years of searching, I just hope this theory is right.

Any thoughts?
Diane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:31 pm

User avatar Hi again -

While I'm not familiar with endos forming on the bowel, I also don't see any reason why that couldn't happen. Your newest doctor is wanting to do a colonoscopy, I suspect, in order to see just what this may be, and it's not a bad idea. If something is found that looks like a polyp, it can be removed simply and painlessly during the procedure or, if it seems inappropriate to do that, it can at least be biopsied the same way, and that can determine (if anything is found) whether or not this is endo or simple colonic polyp or some other sort of growth (again, if there's even anything there). It's a very reasonable exploration, and other than the prep, which can be a little annoying the day prior, is a very quick and innocuous procedure.

Please let us know what, if anything, is turned up.
 problems101 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Just a quick note, because I wasn't clear, the obgyn wants to do a laporscopy but she wants me to have bowel prep. I wasn't sure if she finds out she was wrong & there is no endo, Is it possible for her to check my bowel or would a gastro doctor have to come in & do that?

Do Doctors work together like that? It would almost be like a gastro be on call.

Thanks for your help, I hope you doctors realize how appreciative I am of all of you!!

Diane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:01 pm

User avatar Hi -

Oh, I see. I didn't understand it was to be a lap. In that case she probably has something in mind she'd like to investigate surgically, and if it turns out to be GI-related instead of endo, yes, quite often they can arrange to have an appropriate specialist on hand to take over, although if anything is removed or biopsied it really probably would work out the same either way, and if it is found by pathology to be something that would normally be found in the bowel then a GI specialist can take over and follow the rest of the way. All in all it should come out about even in that regard. Let's just hope whatever's there is taken and maybe there'll be no need for further intrusion.

By all means let us know how things go. Best of luck to you.
 problems101 - Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm

I forgot to ask. during my follow up appointment from endometriosis laparoscopy surgery, Dr. Keyvani told me my bowel prep didn't work. ( I used the fleet phoso drink (2 parts) as my bowel prep.) I was full. She didn't think I did a bowel prep. The surgery was extremely difficult.

How can I "go" all evening & not be cleaned out ? Can I take that to mean, I have a colon problem? She says the pain I have now is from an unknown source. Maybe I should see a gastro MD about having a colonoscopy. I seen a gastro doctor but he said since I'm 41 he'll see me at age 50 for a colonoscopy. My problem is pain not bleeding. So he don't think it would be covered by insurance.

If I have to get surgery again or a colonoscopy, Would having a colonic done be more effective than fleet phospho drink?

thanks
Diane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello again -

Thanks for clearing this part up. The fact that the Fleet's Phospho soda didn't get the job done could be due to at least two things: first, did you also take the Bisacodyl tablets 2 hours after the second Phospho drink? If not, that could explain this. Second possibility that comes immediately to mind is "slow gut" syndrome or slow stomach emptying, either of which might wind up leaving some food still waiting to be digested and winding up in the bowel. This is unusual, but not unheard of.

I would recommend seeing a GI specialist with likelihood of a colonoscopy being done. I don't know if a colonic would be recommended by a GI specialist, or even permitted. If it were, or if the office were able to perform it for you, then that might be helpful since it would bring the desired conditions into closer time alignment. I've never heard of this being done, but I'm also not a gastroenterologist (nor any sort of doctor for that matter). All this could be brought up to the GI specialist and you could find out, given your experience, what the best approach might be. If you do this, I hope you'll update us as it would be useful to know what you learn.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch.
 MsPittsburgh - Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 am

[color=#0000FF]Thank you for your question. I have the same pain. I've had it for a year now. I went for my annual pap last year and they did a sonnagram and found nothing wrong with my left ovary (where the pain is). I recently saw my Gyno at the store and I told her I'm still having intermittent pain and she suggested me getting a colonoscopy since I've never had one and I'm 53. She suspects it's my colon giving me the pain. Next month I will see her for my annual and I will set up an appt. for a colonoscopy. Not looking forward to it, but maybe it will shed some light on the mystery pain!
 problems101 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:07 am

ms. pittsburg,

Let me know how it goes, I can't get my doctors to do a colonoscopy because I'm 41 not 50. I asked for one, I pushed for bowel prep for my laparoscopy surgery thinking as long as I was cleaned out, they could bring in a gastro doctor to check me out. as"full"as I was I guess a colonoscopy couldn't have been done.

I'd like to know if they found anything for you, please post

thanks
Diane
 problems101 - Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:03 am

Still dealing with this pain, today is horrible, had hysterectomy 1/28/10 . I keep having follow ups & still have pain. one doctor thought my one leg is longer by the wear pattern on my shoe & wanted me to have an orthopedic evaluation. family doc wants me on lyrica for fibromyalga,

I went back to obgyn & he said he seen aheresions from my left ovary to my bowel but didn't take the ovary, he said before doing the above, he feel this is the problem so surgery is scheduled.

The gastro quesion is. . . he warned me about nicking the bowel & problems there, but he said he'd be very careful.

Can a gastro doctor be called in if this happens or should the adhesions be removed by a gastro doctor?

thanks
Diane

|