Question: Abdominal pain during exercise

isthedrin - Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:58 am

When I go for a walk or a run, I get pains in my abdomen that feel like my abdominal muscles are screaming for air--almost like the circulation is cut off, and I have to stop for a minute or two to make it go away. But it quickly returns when I resume exercising. At first I thought it might be side stitches, but these pains aren't related to my diaphram as far as I can tell, and they don't happen in the same spot every time. It is often in my lower abdomen but not always. The location changes--it's the same location within each episode of exercise but different the next time so it's hard to nail down the source. I do have a history of endometriosis and some kind of adhesion defect clamping off a ligament that my doctor found in surgery and he wants to remove it, but since the pain is in various locations, I doubt this is the source of the pain. I also have a history of vasospastic-type problems, including migraines, livedo reticularis, vasovagal syncope and, my doctor says, Raynaud's, although I'm not sure about that one. My surgeon said the "veins in your pelvis are huge," if that could have anything to do with it. Thanks for any direction here.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:54 pm

I hope you are feeling better. It would be very difficult to evaluate the character of your symptoms over the internet. However here are a few thoughts.

Endometriosis causes pain that occurs at approximately monthly intervals. Generally speaking pain on exercise can be from the abdominal muscles or the GI tract (in such a case there will be other symptoms such as belching, excess gas, some relieft from bowel motions). It can also be the result of the adhesion you mentioned especially if it is persistant.

You would need a proper evaluation to get to the bottom of this one.

|