News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: 14 year old w/upper middle abdominal pain and loose bowels

sfbk - Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:51 am

My 14 year old son has had upper middle abdominal pains with bowels movements 3 to 5 times per day. Stomach aches last between 5 and 10 minutes and range, in pain, from a 2 to a 7. This has been a daily problem for the last 6 to 8 months. In the last 3 months he has had two Colonoscopy's, CT scan, Ultrasound Sound, and numerous blood cultures for any and every type of disease. Every test has came back negative. He is presently on Bentyl twice a day and the doctor also put him on a small dose of Zoloft (25mg) (due to him not having any energy, not eating and losing weight). (he is an extremely happy person so depression is not an issue). The Zoloft has seemed to help with his eating problem and his energy level has increased. Nonetheless, he still has these unexplainable stomach aches and loose bowels daily. With all test results coming back negative, I am not quite sure what to do next. I fear not pursuing this matter but with all of these negative results, I do not want to put him through any more tests.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 am

User avatar Hi,
One simple test that at times get overlooked is stool microscopy. Parasites such as Entameba histolytica, giardia lamblia and helminthic infestations which can cause all the symptoms that your son has, are easily missed.
If it has not been done so far, please mention this to your doctor.Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here