Question: Chronic stomach/side/back pain

shelfie26 - Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I am a 26 year old vegetarian female with chronic lower abdominal pain on my lower right side, my lower right stomach, and my lower back. Pain that at times doubles me over. It affects my life profoundly. I had a spell of kidney/bladder infections and small amounts of blood in my urine for about 6 months but it has finally cleared. I am currently on advair for asthma, lexapro, and birth control pills. I have had this pain for almost 3 years without a diagnosis. I do suffer from kidney stones-I currently have one that is in my kidney and 2.5 mm. It is recent and has formed after the onset of my pain. I have been sent to the gynecologist and had a laparoscopy and was told everything in my uterus/ fallopian tubes looked great. She then sent me to a gastroenterologist where I had a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy revealed internal hemorrhoids, which was deemed not the cause of my chronic pain. There was no blood in my stool. HIDA scan was normal. After my colonoscopy I was in such severe pain in my lower right stomach I was rushed to the ER to make sure I didn’t perf. I was given 2 CT scans in 1 week, everything was fine. I was referred to an urologist who scoped my bladder and reported mild irritation due to my infections, but nothing abnormal. I have had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and my appendix and was told that they were fine. Blood test always come back normal. I have no history of stomach pain/disease in my family. I have run out of specialists to go to and body parts to be scoped. I have also run out of hope. The pain is moderate to very severe at times. It comes and goes, but when it comes, it is a constant throbbing ache. I see no relation to meals or foods. Any advice as to where to go from here?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 am

A very perplexing problem indeed!
If there is one problem that can cause the symptoms you have described and yet remain difficult to diagnose is recurrent appendicitis - esp. what is known as the catarrhal type.
The other resason for this kind of pain could be an obstructed appendix(obstruction by a fecolith). Both of these at times escape detection.
That is why in such cases surgeons sometimes advocate an elective appendectomy. Some patients do very well following surgery.
I hope you will find this information useful.Thank you for your post.
 shelfie26 - Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!! I really appreciate you taking time to post, it has almost been a year since I posted and I assumed no one wanted to touch the topic since stomach pain can be very perplexing!

Michelle
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:39 pm

User avatar Hi Michelle,
Thank you so much.If you happen to look at my profile, you may understand why??!
I am a rather recent member of "Doctors Lounge".Good luck.
 hubbs - Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Shelfie26

not sure how i go about using forums this is the very first one i have ever registered for but your complaint made me want to respond.

for years i have suffered with severe pains in my side and stomach and just moving into lower back (but mainly stomach) to the point i would be doubled over at work unable to move. went to emergency doctor on morning who sent me straight to hospital - they kept me in for 3 days testing and probing !! tested me Crohns for disease did colonoscopy check all other ovious things ie appendix etc and sent me ome with no diagnosis - so i was really dissapointed.

(this worked for me and may not for you but i feel i need to send you the info)

i went home and started cutting things out of my diet ten re-introducing them to see i there was any affect. long story short i found that Bread mainly white but all types played an enormous part in making me so unwell and in pain. then second to that was pastries - sausage rolls pasties etc. Third for me was white rice this was immediate and had me in agony within 5 mins . I am a fit slightly under weight female who doesnt live on junk food but i did have bread of some kind once a day - this may have been tea cakes, crumpets, hot x buns etc , they all had the same painful effect on me.

i have never been back to the docs or hospital since i cut these things out, so although you don't think it is a food causing this i reckon it may be worth a try - no harm done if its not the culprit - even just for a week - if you have pain every day then you should probably notice if anyting is better after eliminating te foods. good luck x
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:48 am

User avatar Hi hubbs,
Really i must commend you for what you had done.I wish everyone has the patience that you fortunately have.
Posts such as yours will hopefully encourage others. Thank you so much!!

|