Question: pain radiating between shoulder blades and under ribs,rhs

samanthamoore - Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:02 am

for the past 6-8 weeks i have been experiencing upper gastric tenderness and pain middle of chest radiating through back between shoulder blades and under right hand side of ribs. this starts approx.2-3 hours after eating in the evening and is frequently accompanied by severe nausea, wind, acid, and regurgitation of food/liquid if i bend over. fullness after eating a couple of mouthfulls of food. Occasional dizziness and headache. I had a similar attach 1 year ago and felt well until this started. It does not occur daily and each "attack" lasts several hours. No conventional medicines help although i am taking metocloperamide for sickness. The only relief of the pain is to "hunch" over something. I have had blood test for helicobactor which was negetive, and recent ultrasound of gallbladder/pancreas/kidneys/spleen etc etc was normal. I need some relief from this but do not know what to do next.
 Azmiranda - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I am having exactly the same symptoms as you. I now I need to go to the DR and get this checked out but I was curious to know if you got better or if you got a diagnosis to your problems.
 VAMHA - Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I have been having the same problems for over a year. The pain in my back is not so back, and the pain in my stomach tends to be midline, to slightly left hand side, though pain on the right can be present. I typically regurgitate for about 2 hours after eating.

I went to my Primary Care doc who ordered a barium swallowing study, a Gallbladder US, and an Upper GI endoscopy. The swallowing study found some slowness in my upper abdominal tract, the US was normal, and the Upper GI endoscopy found some gastritis, and seems to have been H. Pylori negative. I have tried 3 different Proton Pump Inhibitors (Omeprazole, Prevacid and Protonix), none of which have worked. Metoclopramide (Reglan) seems to make the problem less severe (likely due to increased gastric motility), and eating smaller meals has helped. I'm somewhat heavy and I can eat less than my significantly smaller wife and still get full. Even exercise on an empty stomach really hurts due to the movement.

samanthamoore and azmiranda: Let me assure you that you are not alone. I dealt with this for a very long time before going to see my doctor. A HIDA-scan might be appropriate. One doctor friend of mine suggested that a decreased ejection fraction on the gallbladder can cause right hand side pain and the other symptoms without causing gallstones.

Hang in there!
 samanthamoore - Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 pm

No I havent, strangely the problems have continued now almost daily and the pain is now excrutiating particularly if i bend down for any reason. It now radiates up my neck down my arm and across my chest it is awful. I am currently living on a diet of anti-sickness tablets, pain killers, zantac, windeze or pepcid 2 just to try and help. I have a now permanent pain in my back around my ribs and between the shoulder blades. I have a gastroscopy on december 3rd but don't hold out much hope to be honest. I smoke and am asthmatic so have considered infection or lung issues but have no cough. i have had no injury or knock so ruled that out which I guess just leaves ulcers or stomach issues, but I cannot carry on like this, I have had so much time off work and don't have a very good doctor so do not feel comforatble asking for help. You need to go see a doctor and get checked out, please don't leave it until its so bad, a 5 minute talk to your doc. could sort you out. Let me know how you get on.
Azmiranda wrote:I just wanted to tell you that I am having exactly the same symptoms as you. I now I need to go to the DR and get this checked out but I was curious to know if you got better or if you got a diagnosis to your problems.

samanthamoore - Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Vamha thank you so much. I looked into what you said and it made a lot of sense (to me if not my doctor) my doctor is of the opinion "no gallstones ,no problem" I have made big changes to diet/lifestyle, even down to posture and non-restrictive clothing and trying to deal with this myself as I have an unsympathetic doctor. The problem has slightly subsided over the last few days to bearable having had bad daily bouts of this for the previous 10-12 weeks solid, but I know it will be back with a vengeance again. I have my endoscopy in 3 weeks but expect nothing to show. I will persist then in requesting a HIDA Scan as you suggest, if nothing else it may rule out gall bladder problems. my only concern is that when the tests are done if I feel ok will it still show anything? either way once again a big big thank you,

VAMHA wrote:I have been having the same problems for over a year. The pain in my back is not so back, and the pain in my stomach tends to be midline, to slightly left hand side, though pain on the right can be present. I typically regurgitate for about 2 hours after eating.

Hang in there!

VAMHA - Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Good on you for making lifestyle changes! Those were really hard for me.

Try to be patient with you doctor. Remember that he/she knows your case better that anyone (including non-doctors like me). If you have serious issues, you can ask for a second opinion. Be aware that some doctors are suspicious of internet medicine, and may feel threatened, but if you are really that upset, it's within your rights as a patient.

Remember...there are TONS of upper GI tests. An EGD (which you are getting), helps rule out the need for some of them. Some tests (like the HIDA Scan) involve radiation. As such, if it's not indicated, you would be exposing yourself to radiation without any benefit. My EGD told me a lot and helped rule out some other problems, which was great.

I'm no doctor, so I can't tell you what will happen if you had a test when you feel well. Stay strong.
 ck85 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21 pm

I had this over 4 years ago now. Pain under ribs so bad I would be in tears 30mins- 1 hr after eating meal. Pain also in back and between shoulder blades. I could feel my gallbladder distended (swallon) if bent over. Pain would be worse if ate a fatty meal and often threw up. Was in casualty at least once a week on morphine after eating a fatty meal like shepherds pie. Ended up eating tomato soup and toast till had gall bladder removed. Lab tests show and infected gall bladder, no stones. I was 18 at the time. Hope advice helps. Try to see what foods trigger an attack
 sicklady - Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 pm

I was diagnosed with gall stones 3 months ago. At the time, I was also having female issues and was told to handle that problem 1st. I did and for a month or so my gall stone issue seemed to disappear. Now they are back. My upper back feels like an elephant is sitting on it ( an hour after I eat) and it doesn't go away. Under my heart feels like it's extending and sometimes I look like I'm 9 months pregnant. At this present time, I'm not sure if I want to vomit or use the bathroom. My stomach feels like H-LL. I've read all the other response and I don't know what to do.
 basketball45 - Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 pm

I have had the same symptoms. at first they thought i had acid reflux but then it got worse so they did a sonogram to check for gall stones. there were none. so i got a HIDA test of my gallbladder and had no function of my gall bladder at all. eating bland low fat foods helps with the pain. I am scheduled for a consult to have my gall bladder removed next week.

|