Question: 2 year old dying from nutrition loss due to excessive vomit

tiger5226 - Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 pm

I am writing this post to see what kind of help I can get. my little brother who is a little over 2 years old is slowly withering away to almost nothing. I can't stand to see my father so distrought and helpless. It hurts me to my core. I am 24, my father decided to start a new family.

At birth my brother was mishandled and yellow jaundice set in and was overlooked till the point that his billy ruben levels reached possible brain damage. A year of systematic problems had become massively worse. He was, at that point diagnosed with kernicterus due to the yellow jaundice. Here is where the problem lies. The doctors cannot not help him. He continues to vomit on a daily basis sometimes 2-3 times a day. The doctors have put him on medication to ease the acidic affects of vomiting so much. The doctors have said his esophogus is permanantly damaged already. This little boy (who is the cutest thing I have ever seen and who is my inspiration to have children someday) is a fighter. His disabilities make it hard for his body to respond due to the brain damage[although his intelligence was not affected]. So he cannot speak yet or walk. He finds a way to do and go where do what he has to.

Because of the vomitting they put him on a special strictly whey diet(400 calories per serving). Since then he has contiued to drop weight. Then about six months ago they said we had to put him on a feeding tube or else he would die. So my parents did. He continued to vomit on an almost daily basis barely keeping down anything.

He wants to eat... he tries to eat (he is hungry). It is so sad to see him in this situation it brings tears to my eyes typing this.

The doctors are not helping him with the vomiting. The anti-acids are not making things much better as you can noticeably see vomiting is still very painfull for him. Since then he has had to have surgery to put a permanant feeding tube directly throught his gut to his stomach to prevent him from vomiting up the feeding tube. His immune system is getting worse by the week. The incision where the tube was inserted is constantly getting infected due to his low immune system. He is still dropping wieght although very slowly...he should be putting on weight. He is 30 months and weighs 23 lbs.

I need help getting him to stop vomitting (which is causing him to lose weight). The doctors are go crazy over it and my little brother, and my father's little boy is dying. I am pleading for help from someone... anyone.

The only other thing I can tell you is that a lot of the time just before he vomits he looks like he is in excrutiating pain and then projectile! vomits...not a normal episode that you would think...I have seen it go 3 feet once and he is so tiny.

I am asking anyone with any kind of advise wether it be a doctor or someone who may have gone through the same thing to please contact me by reply to this post or by email at tiger5226@hotmail.com
 Cynthia H, RN - Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:35 am

If you keep the little guy in a sitting position for about 1 hour after feeding- sitting up for the entire time. We used to do this with all of our vomiting kids and I have done this with adults as well to allow the stomach contents to be lower than the shoulders so that the weight of the stomach keeps the food down and allows for digestion. You may see less vomiting if you do this. For this, you probably need a plan for distraction or hold him in your arms in a sitting position for an hour or so- even if he falls asleep. He may have damage to the stomach sphincter that usually keeps the food in the stomach. He probably gets nauseated because of the position after eating, and he may then be sensitive to vomiting due to the pressure of the stomach contents.
Also, he can sleep on the right side to create a situation (not the initial hour after eating, but other times during the day not related to eating) where the sphincter in the stomach is the farthest away from and slightly in a down position. This right- side-laying position is used when someone is nauseated- used in the hospital by every nurse I know after surgery when there is a chance of vomiting.
 tankgllrr74 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 pm

my son had this when he was first born didnt gain a pound for 6 months had him labeled failure to thrive....even though i fed him regularly but when i would burp him he would projectile vomit everything he ate. so one week in the hospital they did ultra sounds and all kinds of surgeries ....to find out his sphincter muscle was damaged and it was constantly in the open position so he couldnt hold food down they had me hold him upright after eating and that helped a lot for him to gain weight but in time his muscle corrected itself. my son was jaundice as well and was premature due to stress. so there is hope i pray for ya'll

|