News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Diarrhea due to no gall bladder

jbo2876 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:49 pm

I had my gall bladder removed a couple of months ago due to polyps. Since then, i've had diarrhea on a daily basis. Its normal in color but sometimes "stringy". I have found if I take 30-40 gms of fiber a day, it helps a little. When I do have a solid stool, its sometimes really thin. I also have developed rectal itching and on occasion, will see small spots of blood after wiping. Nothing in the stool though. My internalist seems to think its an internal hemorrhoid rather than cancer since i'm only 32. Is this something to be concerned with? Is there a solution to get "regular" again?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Occasionally after the gallbladder is removed a patient will have lingering bouts of diarrhea for some reason (probably a reflex response). However, the blood and itching do suggest hemorrhoids, but the only way to be certain of this is to have a thorough exam which would probably include a colonoscopy. While everything sounds relatively innocent, age is no guarantee against cancer, and guessing it's something simple is cold comfort if the guess turns out to be wrong. Again, I feel pretty certain this is being caused by internal hemorrhoids and if I were willing to guess at my own good health I'd say leave it there, but if it were me I wouldn't, so I certainly won't suggest that to you. Instead, I'd say go for the definite rule-out. You'll feel a lot better in any case.

Best of luck to you with this. Please keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here