Question: 28 yr old female with Pain in left abdomen

MGuerrra - Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi! I am a 28 year old female in otherwise good health. Today I started having moderate to sever pain in my left abdomen. The pain is I would say mid to lower abdomen, starting about the area of my navel, but more to the left, and down. It does not hurt all the time, but as the day has progressed the pain is becoming more frequent. I can push on the site of the pain and it increases, but is not like an appendicitis pain that increases when you let off the pressure. The pain does seem to worsen when taking deep breathes. My bowel movements have been normal. There is a chance that I may be pregnant, but not even 2 weeks along. I am not running a fever, however, I have been chilled throughout the day. Any thoughts on what this may be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:41 pm

The pain you have described could be due to GIT or gynecologic problem.

You have mentioned that your might b pregnant, so pelvic congestion may give cause dull aching pain mainly in the pelvis but may radiate to lower abdomen. Although it is normal to have some pain during pregnancy; persistent pain and association with chills, vaginal bleeding or spotting, are alarming and ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage should be excluded.

Ovarian changes including ovulation could cause similar pain. Exclusion of infections (PID) is essential.

Colitis due to infectious causes, or inflammatory causes (less likely) can result in pain similar to what you have described. Infectious and inflammatory causes would result also in diarrhoea.
If you have eaten any type of food that is irritant to your colon, you will have similar symptoms. If you have constipation, pain due to any other causes will increase.

Other causes like renal colic should be looked for; it is common to have urinary tract infection during pregnancy although your symptoms are not suggestive.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor. Direct clinical examination is essential.

Hope you find this information useful.

|