Question: Confused with Right Side Pain

jmurd43 - Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:17 pm

For almost 3 weeks I have been having severe right upper abdominal pain. I spent 9 days in the hospital and the doctors there could not figure out what was wrong with me. I had many blood test, urine tests, xrays, ultrasounds and a CT scan. Everything came back normal. I also had bad nausea and I had no energy at all and fever. I had some pain in my shoulders but as a swimmer, that is normal. In ER, the doctors were all very sure that I had a gallbladder problem. Once I had a ultrasound, they determined that everything looked normal. They then told me that it was a "muscle strain". For the amount of pain that I was in and the other symptoms, I could not believe that. Finally they released me after 7 days, saying that it was a virus. After a couple of days at home I returned to the hospital as there was no improvement. They redid the blood tests and the ultrasound and still found that everything looked normal. I am now at home and the pain and nausea still persist. Is there anyway that it could still be my gallbladder and they have just missed it? Should I return to the hospital even though all the tests have come back negative? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:19 am

User avatar Hi jmurd43,
Sometimes blood tests, ultrasounds etc. can rule everything "normal" even if there is an abnormality. A more difinative test for gallbladder disfunction is a hidascan. I would suggest that you discuss this particular test with your doctor. I hope this helps.
 ksweetie2577 - Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:45 pm

i have had the same pain for about a month and a half and the doctors did the same tests and everything came back normal they even sent me to a surgen and he said it was just a virus. After dealing with the pain for a few more weeks they sent me for the hydascan and it showed disfuction in my gallbladder

|