Question: Pain in Right Abdomen - CT scan showing nothing?

blueradon - Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:23 pm

I've been having pains in both sides about 2 weeks ago - didn't waste any time thinking about going to see a doctor - well I went to the ER instead actually - the doctor felt around the area for tenderness - and did a urine sample on me - told me I was fine - take some ex lax because I'm constipated - and sent me on my way...

So I have changed my eating habits to now more raw and natural foods - avoiding meat as much as I can (I eat mostly chicken anyways), try to drink at least 64oz of water every day...I'm overweight so I have been walking on the trails every day and getting more exercise...things were starting to look good and feel better.

Then last night - the pain came back 10 fold - I almost couldn't get out of bed - couldn't bend down to reach anything - I had to sit either straight up or lay flat down to get comfortable...

Within 24 hours I went back to the ER and told them I had pain in my lower right abdomen - they immediately put me into a room - took my blood pressure, temperature - 2 blood samples - urine sample - that all came back clean. The doctor did a physical checkup for hernia checked my belly explained to him my pains etc etc - they put me in a CT Scan - checked the appendix, kidneys, looked for kidney stones and gall stones, looked for hernia, looked in the groin area to make sure nothing was wrong down there (as far as lumps and what not) - EVERYTHING came back entirely clean they said I appeared to be very healthy.

They prescribed me with a NSAID (I think that's how you say it) and a less harsh stool softener since the last doctor I had at ER told me to take exlax.

My question is - Is there anything else that should be looked into as far as other illnesses or diseases? They said I'm clean but are leaning towards irritable bowel syndrome - they think my pain could be from irregular bowel movements...I mean I guess I'll wait and see what these drugs will do for me that they gave me...but I just wanted to make sure if anyone has any other thoughts to this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Causes of Pain in the Right side of the abdomen include:
-Gall Bladder or Billiary disease, which causes pain in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen. It occurs mainly after meals (fatty) and may be associated with nausea and vomiting. The pain may radiate to the back or below the right. Stones can be seen bu US or CT Scan, but abnormal emptying or dyskinesia may require other scans like HIDA scan or ERCP.

- Renal pain is usually felt as colicky pains and radiates down to the groin. It is commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency. CT scan can detect renal stones as well as kidney changes.

- Commonly people who have IBS complaints of abdominal pain or colic, gaseous distension, either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them and mucus containing stool. Diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Other diseases that can give similar pictures and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and peptic ulcer, colitis whether infectious or inflammatory. They are usually associated with GIT symptoms like nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea. Stool analysis is helpful.

-Pancreatitis usually presents with severe acute abdominal pain that is felt in the upper abdomen and or in the back but more to the left side. In mild cases the pain is mild and becomes more severe with eating and is associated in many cases with nausea and vomiting, fever and tachycardia. Ultrasonography and CT Scan show characteristic changes in the pancreas. Serum amylase and alkaline phosphatase are usually elevated.

Required investigations include:
Complete blood picture CBC Blood chemistry: like serum amylase lipase, liver enzymes. If gall bladder emptying problems are suspected HIDA scan may be helpful.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to update him with your symptoms.
Please keep us updated.

|