News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Slow draining gallbladder duct

glen - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:16 pm

I had a HIDA scan completed 2 wks. ago. The results: no gallstones, gallbladder functioning but bile duct is slow draining. My internist referred me to a surgeon. All female members of immediate family had gallbladders removed. Am I looking at surgery? Am I in danger of damage to my liver? I am approximately 100 lbs. overweight. I am taking the remaining phen medicine to the original phen/phen medication given for weight loss but with minimal results.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 pm

User avatar Hello,

A HIDA scan is used to diagnose obstruction of the bile ducts or bile leaks. The scan is also commonly used to diagnose gall bladder problems when ultrasonography is normal in patients whose clinical picture is very suggestive of gall bladder disease.

The gallbladder when contracts should squeeze out its bile into the intestine. Reduced contraction is seen during the scan as reduced emptying of the radioactivity from the gallbladder.

Reduced contraction may result from inflammation or scarring of the wall. It gives symptoms and signs similar to gall bladder or duct obstruction by stones. Patients with considerable symptoms from the disease may need surgical removal of the gall bladder as long as other possible causes are excluded like gastritis or gastric ulcer.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 baffled - Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 pm

I have had basically the same problem. I have orange colored stools. I have had a HIDA scan with my gallbladder funtioning only 11%. I had an upper and lower GI this past Tuesday and both were normal and the biopsies came back normal as well. I am still taking the Dycyclomine and they have me taking Citrocel. I have had IBS for Years now and is definately worse. When I visited the surgeon before I had the upper and lower GI, he thought the Gallbladder was not my problem.......well I am baffled at this point.......the GI doctor has advised me to take my meds for another week and if things are still the same he will discuss with my surgeon what to do........It has been 3 days, I have had a BM everyday that is loose and orangy looking. My flatulence smells VERY chemical. Is all this my galbladder or do I need to look further into this. My stomach pretty much hurts EVERYDAY around my Navel and under my ribs, but mainly on the left side.......

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here