News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: RUQ Pain

Kady - Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:00 pm

Dear Dr.,

I have been experiencing RUQ abdominal pain on/off since June of this year. It seems to come after meals, however, I had a lap. cholecystectomy in 2000. In May, I had a small bowel obstruction and acute pancreatitis (idiopathic) and was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I do not drink alcohol. I was on TPN and ended up losing 50 pounds during that hospitalization. Exactly two weeks after that, I had another attack of acute pancreatitis (idiopathic) and was hospitalized for 7 days after having an ERCP with sphincterotomy on day 5 of my hospitalization. Ever since then I have had this RUQ discomfort/pain, sometimes it feels like a pinching type pain, and often, it hurts to even lay on my right side. A few weeks ago, I saw my rheumatologist (SLE) and he found my liver enzymes to be twice the norm and with my +ANA, has referred me to GI to get a work-up for autoimmune hepatitis. My appt. with GI isn't until April (all my docs are at a large teaching hospital), but they are working on fitting me in sooner. Do you think that this pain I am experiencing correlates with autoimmune hep? Do you think I will need a liver biopsy? Can you give me some advice and information about what my pain could mean?

Thanks in advance for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:47 pm

User avatar It would be very hard to tell from just that one complaint. It could be from the liver or from the colon, but could also be psychogenic in some patients. Before we jump to any conclusions you will need a physical examination and possibly an imaging procedure (e.g. ultrasonography) to assess the liver depending on the abdominal examination.

Are all the other liver tests normal e.g. bilirubin? PT? PC? Albumin?

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here