News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in upper abdomen

Kazzy - Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:26 am

Hi,

This evening just before dinner i got a sharp pain in my upper abdomen (above my belly button, just below my ribs). I figured that it was just indegestion or something so wasn't worried. It eased off within a few minutes.

After eating my dinner (which was the same size meal i always eat) I felt very full and bloated even though i hadn't eaten alot and the pain was worse. After a few minutes the pain got worse still to the point i had to lay down and moving hurt ALOT. It eased off to where i could move more but hasn't gone away. If i sit still or lay down it doesn't feel too bad but when i stand up it really hurts and the pain feels like it's going through my back also. It's been 2 1/2 hrs since i ate.

Is this just indegestion or something else? I've had indegestion before but never this bad and it's never usually lasted this long.

Do you have any tips on releiving the pain?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kazzy
 kimbervillas - Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:45 pm

is it straight in the middle? or is it off to one side?

Reading your post, my first thought was gallbladder. Id call and make an apt to see your doc.

Good luck :)

Kim
 Kazzy - Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:32 pm

The pain has gone now but was right in the middle and got worse after my post to the point where i could barely stand up. I ended up having to lay still as it hurt really bad when i moved.

The pain lasted about 4hrs and was ALOT worse when i tried to stand, hurting in the middle of my upper abdomen and across my back (about same hight as pain in stomach but the back pain wasn't centered it was on the sides of my back)

After the pain started to ease off i was left feeling sick.

As i said my first thought was indegestion but i've never had it that bad and it's never lasted that long.

Kazzy

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here