Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Liver Cyst - most likely hepatic

Rhiannon - Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 am

One of my parents was recently advised of having what is believed to be a hepatic cyst on the liver. I undertand the cyst is approximately 7 by 8 cm. I also understand that there is another cyst approx 2.5 x 2.5 on one of the kidneys. No course of treatment or medication is being recommended aside from further scanning, MRI is being recommended - every 6 mos. Is this lack of treatment normal? I am concerned and question whether a specialist should be engaged. My parent also complains of abdominal pain, has lost weight, energy and has blood in the stool. Contrary to recommendations, no colonoscopy has been had for over 6 years.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Simple cysts have a typical appearance in different types of Scan.

Patients with simple hepatic cysts require a thorough history and a physical examination, as well as liver function test which is usually within the normal range. Patients who have are not suspected to have malignancy may need no more investigations and are kept under follow up.

Asymptomatic individuals require no treatment since the risk of complications from the lesion is lower than the risk from therapeutic interventions.

However, when there are symptoms and signs that suggests underlying abnormalities more investigations are needed.
Your parent’s symptoms are concerning and he should be properly investigated to find out the cause of the presence of the blood in stool, losing weight and his progressive weakness. Benign problems that cause similar clinical picture are common but exclusion of serious conditions is essential. CBC, and stool analysis are very helpful and essential; colonoscopy and other radiologic tests are requested based on clinical findings.

Regarding the renal cyst, a simple kidney cyst is commonly seen in people older than age 50. It requires no treatment as long as it does not cause any complications.

I would advise you to follow up with his doctor and to discuss with him your concerns. He is more aware by your parent’s condition and may reassure you about his status.

Please keep us updated.
 Rhiannon - Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Thank you very much for your response. Is there a website or referral network for doctors in this area of gastroenterology on the website? I am trying to locate someone in her area of Southern NJ/Philadelphia. Her doctor is a GP and is not trained in this area (e.g., not able able to read or interpret her scans independently). I understand her doctor relies on a report from another doctor. I am sure relying on reports is quite common and I am not trying to criticize her doctor's skills, but in light of her issues and concerns, I want to take her to meet someone else so she can have a second opinion and pursue any needed testing, as her doctor I understand did not recommend anything of which you listed beyond scanning in 6 months. Thanks again
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am

Sorry that we can not help in this particular issue.

I would advise you to consult a gastroenterologist as you are planning to.
Mean while you can repeat the stool analysis and his complete blood picture.

Please keep us updated.
 Rhiannon - Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks again Doctor for your response. My mother is going for further blood testing through her doctor, as the result of a recent collapse in a store. I appreciate your time and thoughtful response. Hopefully the further testing will alleviate some of the concerns we have with regard to her health and well being.

|