News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Weight loss mystery - 50lbs in 11 months

blossomat - Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 am

My father is 58 years old this year. Before I left for Japan (for the military) in December 07, he weighed 180 pounds. Now, 11 months later, he is down to 129 and is still losing around 5 pounds a month. The doctors are giving up on finding a reason for this - they've done tens of thousands of dollars worth of tests and retests, they can't find anything wrong, no cancer, no food allergies, no nothing. He's tried stuffing himself with food, but it seems the more he eats, the more weight he loses. I guess my question is this - can your body react adversely to food? Can his overeating be causing him to actually lose weight? Could you tell me of a few diseases that have these symptoms? Any help is truly appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:46 am

User avatar Hello,
Unexplained, unintentional weight loss should be properly evaluated.

Weight loss may result from loss of fluid, muscle mass or fat. Fluid loss can occur due to medications, or diabetes mellitus.

Causes of unintentional weight loss include hormonal changes (hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus) and chronic infections. Malignancy is another cause of unexplained weight loss.

It would be more helpful if you can send us information about the results of his test like CBC, stool analysis, LFT, KFT, blood sugar, thyroid hormone levels. And if possible what kind of radiologic investigations and endoscopies if any was done.

Follow up with his doctor is essential.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here