News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Nausea, loss of appetite, heartburn

user101 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:18 am

Hello all,

I am a 22 year old male. For the past 5 days I have felt a sense of nausea, loss of appetite and heart burn which has been getting progressively worse. The smell of food makes me sick to my stomach and I only start to feel a little hungry by 9:00PM.

I have no diarrhea, no constipation, and only threw up once and it was very little. Also, i have no abdominal pains.

At first I thought it was the heartburn that was causing the nausea/loss of appetite but now i don't feel much heartburn anymore, mainly nausea/loss of appetite.

I then saw my general praction yesterday and he felt my stomach, held the stethoscope to my stomach and said I had a stomach virus, but i don't have any of the typical stomach virus symptoms!

I am very confused, bothered by the nauseous feeling and i must admit a bit paranoid by my symptoms (I just lost my aunt 2 months ago to stomach cancer).

Can someone please tell me if what is bothering me is a stomach virus, if stomach viruses can be detected in the manor that my GP detected it, or if my symptoms are a sign of something else?

Thank you all very much!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am

User avatar Hello,
Nausea and loss of appetite may occur due to problems in the upper gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small intestine, liver, pancreas, and gallbladder).

- Since your condition started with heartburn and vomiting, gastric or oesophageal problems are more likely.
These problems include gastritis due to viral infections as your doctor suggested, medications like analgesics, stress induced or peptic ulcer due to infection with H.pylori. Viral infections are self limited and the condition resolves in 7-10 days. Diarrhea occurs in gastroenteritis when the intestine is involved too.

GERD can give similar clinical picture due to esophagitis by the reflux of acids from the stomach into the esophagus.

Gall bladder problems give similar clinical picture but are usually associated with right hypochondrial pain and symptoms increase with fatty meals.

- Other causes include medications, in response to pain else where in the body, mental or physical stress.

Diagnosis can be easier with the presence of other associated symptoms.

In any case you better stick to light easily digested food and adequate fluids.

Follow up with your doctor is essential; you better update him if your symptoms persists or increase.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here