News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: unexplained weight gain

molly - Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:32 am

:? I have gained ten pounds over the last eight months for no reason. My food intake has not changed and I exercise five days a week for an hour each day. I am watching what I am eating more than ever but can't seem to lose. I have never had any problems losing weight. My family doctor checked for thyroid problems and everything was fine. I've had an abdomial ache in my lower left side for the past several months and had it checked out by my Ob-gyn. There were no signs of anything with my uterus or overies but my colon showed full even though I just had a bowel movement. I have trouble with my bowels, I'm very irregular. Could this have some to do with the weight gain? I have a family history of diabetes but my sugars are fine. I have work done yearly. Also I have a family history of colon cancer. Please help I don't know what else to do. :(
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:48 am

User avatar Hi molly,
Even though you may have just had a bowel movement, a normal adult has approximately 25 feet of intestines so that why it would still appear full on an exam.
Irregularity may explain one or two pounds but it is quite unlikely that it would be the cause of any more than that. Considering that you have a family history of colon cancer it would be wise of you to ask your doctor when you should having screening done. In the absence of any other symptoms and taking into consideration that it appears as though from what you said are living very healthy with exercising etc. it would rule out some other problems that I can consider.
My question to you is, has your doctor evaluated hormone levels to detect if you are perimenopausal etc.? Although there is some debate between health care professionals of whether perimenopause/menopause is linked to unexplained weight gain, it would be worth checking into. Something worth considering if everything else appears normal. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here