Question: Bright red blood in stool

ajrunke - Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:55 pm

I am a 23 year old male who has been recently experiencing bright red blood in the stool. It's been happening sporadically for about 2 months. During the past 2 months, I've noticed it around 5 times, and it's always been confined to the upper region, the last area to exit. Twice there has been a fair amount of blood and 3 times there has been little. There is no pain currently, but I did notice around 2 months ago, I had a bowel movement that was painful due to it's girth and consistency. The current bowel movements have been nothing out of the ordinary besides the occasional blood. I have not changed my diet. I get a relatively decent amount of fiber. I'm worried, understandably, and I do not have health insurance. I was monitoring my bowel movements since the first time that I noticed the blood, and for the past 3 weeks, I had no blood until today. Please let me know if there is any information I'm leaving out that is prudent to understanding my condition.

Thank you in advance,

Andrew
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm

The most likely culprit would be hemorrhoids, which could be internal and not visible. I would first try altering your diet to increase fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dried beans) and add fiber supplements such as Metamucil daily. Get plenty of water, exercise and a planned, regular allotted, daily bathroom time, complete with reading material. This would decrease the risk of constipation and trauma to the rectum. If the bleeding gets heavy or does not improve with these measures, see your doctor.

I realize health insurance helps tremendously but if you are not making premium payments on the insurance policy you might have had, perhaps putting away a similar amount into a health savings account would be worthwhile. You would also have to pay a copay with insurance so when you figure that in, the exam may not cost as much more as you might think.

ajrunke - Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:09 pm

I appreciate the response. It was informative and helpful. Also, I appreciate your input on the HSA, which is something I have been looking into.

My bowel movement today did have some blood in it, as well as on the tissue. Only this time the blood wasn't confined to the last section, it was almost throughout the whole BM, though it wasn't a lot. I did have a sensation around the anal cavity of slight discomfort, no pain though. I seem to be able to predict when there will be blood or not, according to the sensation. After your reply, you have confirmed what I had hoped was the issue, which alleviated a significant amount of nervousness. I am going to include more fiber, and exercise, along with warm baths. I will continue to monitor the situation and hopefully it will get better soon.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Andrew

|