Question: hemorrhoids and back pain?

Denise_1982 - Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 pm

I have a question. About a month ago I've noticed pain and a lot of blood when going number 2. I went to the doctor and she told me I have hemorrhoids. So, she gave me some cream, but it didn't work and she tried another one and still no luck. Now I find that when I go to the bathroom, I have lower back pain (right above the hip) and nausea. Sometimes the pain gets really bad and hard to walk or even stand up straight. I don't strain myself when I go. I'm just in a lot of pain. Colon cancer does run in my family. Should I be worried or does this back pain come with having hemmorrhoids? Thank you so much for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:28 pm

While there is sometimes low back pain (right around the area of the tailbone) with hemorrhoids, what you're describing sounds very different from that. While it may well be orthopedic in origin (and you should be evaluated for that), the combination of pain and nausea, plus your family history makes me want you to arrange for a colonoscopy or at least to see a gastroenterologist, who probably will want you to have the scope anyway. It is entirely appropriate given the factors you've listed, and could set your mind at ease (best case) or at least catch any serious problems early.

Please follow up with us as needed and update us when you've been seen or if anything changes. Good luck to you.

|