News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Anal abscess or hemorrhoid or something else?

Guest415 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:52 am

To start, i apologize if this is the incorrect forum, but its the closest i could find.

4 days ago i was uncomfortable sitting down but thought nothing of it, and later that night i looked in the mirror and discovered a small lump just below my anus opening (and by below i mean within a centimeter).

Now 4 days later, that pea shaped lump is now a grape size and causing severe pain with whatever i do and i can't even sleep with the pain. it hurts when i walk, cough - do ANYTHING.

before all of this occured i noticed thin (not enough to notice/worry about) streaks of blood on the toilet paper but this was somewhat weeks before this growth occured.

i'm planning on getting a doctors appointment ASAP, i thought it would go at first but because of the pain i have no choice.

i just wanted to get an idea of what it could be.

any response is appreciated and i thank you for taking the time to read this.

oh and i'm a 17 year old male, just incase it makes a difference.
 Guest415 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:10 pm

ok now i'm freaked out.

whatever it is, it just burst and theres so much blood and puss. it feels better, but only half of the thing has gone, and its VERY stingy to touch.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like a hemorrhoid which may have become thrombosed. Sometimes we have to have these lanced for relief; other times they will resolve without intervention. You can give it time, sit on a pillow, take sitz baths and use ointments with pain reliever but if it does not get well, see the doctor. The most important thing for you to do is prevent these in the future. Most often they are caused by poor habits that cause constipation and straining to stool. Try to revise your eating habits to include more fiber, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lots of water. In addition, exercise regularly and take a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil. These measures can make a huge difference in the future.

Good luck in the healing process.
 Guest415 - Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:07 pm

thank you very much for the response.

so does this mean because it burst on its own that it will heal up and not bother me any more?
 birdlover - Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:13 pm

I have some white bumps that are located within an inch of my anus. They sometimes itch and are not that tender or bleeding. I have not had anal sex and I really need to know what they are. I recently had trouble with a recent bowel movement but thought nothing of it until it started to itch.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here