Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Poikilocytosis Echinocytosis

DoneDidIt - Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Recently I had a Comp Metabolic Panel, Lipid Panel, and CBC w/ Diff. At the end of the report there is a section labeled, "RBC, WBC, PLT," I assume for Red Blood Count, White Blood Count, Platelet. In that section it reads:

RBC MORPH (Blank)
Echinocytosis 2+
Giant Thromb 1.0
Poikilocytosis 2+

Do the reports normally list these conditions as conditions checked for, or is this indication that I have these conditions?

I cannot consult w/ my doctor because he is away for yet another month.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:08 pm

User avatar Hi there -

These items, while not specifically checked for, are noted as findings involving the condition of blood cells within the sample, and are not conditions in themselves. They are often seen as artifact (effect of glass tube, effect of additive in the tube, etc.), and in low quantities as found in your sample, are probably not significant for anything, although if enough of these slightly abnormal-looking cells had been found it might have indicated some sort of medical problem. It doesn't appear to be the case here, but they have to be noted in the report, as would anything outside what is normal. The lab can't ascribe any meaning to anything, although if there is something seriously off-base, they will issue to your doctor's office (or whoever is covering for him) what's called a "critical lab finding." Clearly that hasn't happened, and wouldn't, given the small number of abnormal cells found in your sample.

In short, without any significant history, these particular findings mean just about nothing. You can relax.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|