News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Poikilocytosis Echinocytosis

DoneDidIt - Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Recently I had a Comp Metabolic Panel, Lipid Panel, and CBC w/ Diff. At the end of the report there is a section labeled, "RBC, WBC, PLT," I assume for Red Blood Count, White Blood Count, Platelet. In that section it reads:

RBC MORPH (Blank)
Echinocytosis 2+
Giant Thromb 1.0
Poikilocytosis 2+

Do the reports normally list these conditions as conditions checked for, or is this indication that I have these conditions?

I cannot consult w/ my doctor because he is away for yet another month.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:08 pm

User avatar Hi there -

These items, while not specifically checked for, are noted as findings involving the condition of blood cells within the sample, and are not conditions in themselves. They are often seen as artifact (effect of glass tube, effect of additive in the tube, etc.), and in low quantities as found in your sample, are probably not significant for anything, although if enough of these slightly abnormal-looking cells had been found it might have indicated some sort of medical problem. It doesn't appear to be the case here, but they have to be noted in the report, as would anything outside what is normal. The lab can't ascribe any meaning to anything, although if there is something seriously off-base, they will issue to your doctor's office (or whoever is covering for him) what's called a "critical lab finding." Clearly that hasn't happened, and wouldn't, given the small number of abnormal cells found in your sample.

In short, without any significant history, these particular findings mean just about nothing. You can relax.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here