Question: Pelvic pain, extreme fatigue, bloating, constipation

catloverkm - Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:11 pm

I am an 18 year old female. For the past couple months, I have been experiencing all these symptoms, and they are continually worsening:

* Pelvic pain in my lower right abdomen. This varies from lots of pressure to a deep stabbing pain, and it is tender to the touch.

*Constant bloating. My stomach feels hard, and it is huge.

* Loss of appetite. I used to eat a lot for a girl my small size, but I eat only one meal a day now because I feel full 24/7.

* Weight gain. I haven't really been eating, but I've put on about 10 pounds. I've never been that active, so it's not a loss of activity causing it.

* Constipation - I only have a bowel movement once every 2-3 days, and I feel like I have to go most of the time, but I can't. When I do go, it's painful.

* Extreme exhaustion - this is my worst symptom. I sleep and sleep and do not feel rested. It's affecting my life.

* Urgency to urinate - I will all of a sudden feel the urge to urinate and can barely hold it enough to go to the bathroom. This is constant.

I have been to the doctor, and am not pregnant. I had an ultrasound (abdominal, pelvic, and transvaginal), and it was normal. The only diagnosis that has been made was that I had a UTI, but I have finished my antibiotics and my symptoms are still getting worse, including the urination. I have not had bloodwork yet - my doctor apparently didn't feel the need for it.

I have a very prominent family history of endometriosis. But would that show up on an ultrasound? What else could this be that would appear normal on the ultrasound?

Thank you for your help - I'm getting desparate.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Some of your symptoms are probably part of the "cascade" effect, ie: some of them cause other things to happen which cause more symptoms. An example would be the way you're feeling exhausted, probably at least in part because of your extreme change in eating habits, which, in turn, is caused by other GI symptoms like feeling extremely full very quickly.

That being said, your workup for the problem wasn't very thorough in that when the "goal" problem wasn't found, no one went forward to try and discover what exactly is the problem. While endometriosis is one possibility (and wouldn't necessarily be visible on ultrasound) there are also lower GI problems that need to be ruled out (or in) such as chronic appendicitis, a bowel obstruction, etc. Endometriosis probably isn't the cause given the fact that nothing was prominent enough to show up on ultrasound exam, even though you could have it. There's no rule that says you can't have more than one problem at the same time, and this may well be the case. I don't feel you're having the biggest problems because of a gynecological problem, unless they are secondary to something that was missed.

I'd recommend a consullt with a GI specialist before persuing ob-gyn possiilities any further, unless you do both at the same time. Something's not right GI-wise, I'd put money on it. I have no idea what it is, but you need to get this resolved soon.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 catloverkm - Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 am

Thanks for your response. I went back to the doctor today, and after poking and prodding around, she strongly suspects it is indeed a pelvic issue, because although I have many gastrointestinal symptoms, it is not tender to push on that area, but down on the right side past my hipbone is extremely tender. She also remarked that my stomach was very very "puffy".

Also, another urinalysis shows the infection is gone, but I am still having the urinary symptoms.

She ordered bloodwork, which I got done today, and a CT scan of my pelvis, which is on Wednesday. She said that will look mainly for inflammation or anything the ultrasound wouldn't have been detailed enough to see. I have an appointment with a gynecologist on the 9th, and things will go from there. She said if nothing shows up on the CT scan, they most likely will pursue endometriosis as the cause - especially since these past couple of days before my period, the pain has gotten significantly worse.

When I find out what's going on, I'll post an update in case it can help anyone else.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:53 am

User avatar Hi and thanks for this update. It does at least seem to be heading in a definite direction, and that's a huge plus. We'll be hoping for good news from you.
 adc101 - Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I Have every single on of your symptoms but i have also Dizziness.
Please let me know what you had i am desperate!
The pain only gets worse and i don't have insurance so
i'd appreciate it if you told me what you had.
BTW my doc said it could be endemetriosis also but didnt even check it because i had an ovarian cyst a while back and i didnt have endemetriosis then so they said i don't have it not...which seems dumb to me.

PLEASE REPLY!!!

|