Question: Strange intense nausea, vomiting, diarhea

comboverjones - Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Last night I woke up every hour with intense nausea and vomited and/or had diarhea, about 5 times total. Today I've been sleeping on and off, drinking water, and eating soup. I've had diarhea a few times today always after urinating. I keep feeling worse and worse. Is this a known stomach bug? What should I do? When will it end?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am

This is very likely a strain of the currently very popular norovirus which has been making the rounds. It comes on rather abruptly, causes all the symptoms you describe, and the acute phase usually lasts about three days, after which the patient usually starts to feel progressively less ill, but may feel weak and listless for another few days. The GI tract slowly recovers from the insult, but for the first few days it is often difficult to eat anything (or even think about eating). It is important, however to keep one's self properly hydrated, so sips of clear liquids are strongly urged as tolerated, which you've been doing.

You'll know when the acute phase has passed because you'll actually begin to feel some mild hunger again. Start with bland diet and advance as tolerated. Rest and fluids, as you've been doing, is pretty much the rest of it.

I hope you're feeling well soon. If the acute phase of this lasts more than four days, by all means have yourself seen. This should begin to get better by then, however, as it is classic for norovirus. Good luck to you. Follow up with us here as needed.

|