Question: Pain in Navel and just above for few years

Janessa02 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi there, I have this pain in my belly button and just above it abit to the right for the last few years now. It started about 2 years ago I got my period and then sharp pains in my belly button which lead to it bleeding and pus. I went to the emergeny (no family dr.) And was suppose to have an ultra sound but nothing happened.

I do notice that the pain usually gets worse when I have my period and my belly button is not bleeding anymore but is still rather sore. Its like the pain is underneath my belly button and up a little. And the last 6months or so it now also hurts just above and to the right of my naval. It's not a burning pain I have had an ulcer before it's more of a sore pain and hurts to push it.

Also over the past few years I seem to vomit almost every morning I have tried eliminating some foods from my diet thinking that may be it with no prevail. The sick feeling usually goes away after a few hours. The vomiting started around the same time as the naval problem.

I do not have a belly ring either, nor have a tatoo there. I have an innie but do clean it well which was suggested from one clinic visit who told me it was just bad hygene.

So I guess I am just looking for suggestions to tell the clinic dr. I'm not sure if this pain related to a stomach issue or has to do with my uterus and time of the month.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm

User avatar Hi there --

This is a peculiar presentation, but the first thing that springs to mind is the phenomenon of umbilical fistula, which is an abnormal connection between the navel and either intestine or bladder, and which normally closes in utero. When it fails to close there can develop cysts, etc., or it can cause infections or discharge from the navel. The chronic umbilical and epigastric pain suggests there could be something going on where a fistula or partial fistula may exist, with intermittent infection. Whoever saw you for this should have done routine blood work which might have showed an elevated white blood cell count (WBC) and possibly other slight abnormalities which would suggest infection.

Since this problem seems to worsen around the time of your periods, it may be either a really unusual fistula, a retrograde gynocological infection, or this may be completely off target, but with umbilical discharge there's almost always a fistula invvolved and where there's pus and blood there's almost certainly something infected. The location of the pain doesn't really sound like bladder, but if a cyst or other chronically infected locus along the path of a fistula were present, the pain could be anywhere. The ultrasound would be very helpful and should have been done. Still should be.

There's definitely something going on that's not supposed to be, so I hope you'll have this followed and please keep us updated as to what you find out. Good luck to you.

|