Question: H-Pylori, and other concerns.

Scott - Thu May 01, 2003 10:02 am

Good day everyone. I have recently been told that I had a positive test for H-Pylori bacteria. This is the second time for me and I think I was never cured the first time. My doctor prescribed prev-pac for me. While it seemed to do the trick the first time around, this bout is giving me a little more trouble. I have been taking the medication for 1 week, and I have been feeling like I have gas, as well as a little cramping. I believe that I have some reflux as well, and I wonder what I can do if the prev-pac doesn't work. It seems that H-Pylori is a difficult bug to destroy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun May 04, 2003 9:14 pm

User avatar Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for using our website.

H. pylori blood test only tells us that you had the bug at one point within 3-6 months even up to 18 months (as it takes that much for the titer of the antibody to decline) but it does not tell whether you have an acute infection or not (meaning are you having the bug right now or not???).

There is another test called the urea breath test that can be done even at the doctor's office, quite cheap and very reliable. The only problem is that you have to stop taking medications like prevacid, of the proton pump inhibitor group for at least 2 weeks before doing the test or the results will be unreliable.

You already started another prev-pac and you are one week into the coures. i think the best way of action is to continue the course for another week and then check this urea breath test after 4 weeks of finishing the course since the prev-pac contains an antibiotic as well and patients should be off all antibiotics for at least 4 weeks. if the test comes back negative this means that the bug has been eliminated. If it comes back positive this means that you still have the bug in your system and you need more treatment. There are lots of medication regimens for elimination of H. pylori.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:38 pm

dose it run in the family how do i know if it runs in the family or not
 satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:39 pm

satin_angel63 wrote:dose it run in the family
h-pylroi
 satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:08 pm

satin_angel63 wrote:dose it run in the family how do i know if it runs in the family or not
where do it get this from or how do u get it
 johncav - Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:45 am

heres a forum for peeps with H. pylori.

http://65.18.197.103/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

|