News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: H-Pylori, and other concerns.

Scott - Thu May 01, 2003 10:02 am

Good day everyone. I have recently been told that I had a positive test for H-Pylori bacteria. This is the second time for me and I think I was never cured the first time. My doctor prescribed prev-pac for me. While it seemed to do the trick the first time around, this bout is giving me a little more trouble. I have been taking the medication for 1 week, and I have been feeling like I have gas, as well as a little cramping. I believe that I have some reflux as well, and I wonder what I can do if the prev-pac doesn't work. It seems that H-Pylori is a difficult bug to destroy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun May 04, 2003 9:14 pm

User avatar Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for using our website.

H. pylori blood test only tells us that you had the bug at one point within 3-6 months even up to 18 months (as it takes that much for the titer of the antibody to decline) but it does not tell whether you have an acute infection or not (meaning are you having the bug right now or not???).

There is another test called the urea breath test that can be done even at the doctor's office, quite cheap and very reliable. The only problem is that you have to stop taking medications like prevacid, of the proton pump inhibitor group for at least 2 weeks before doing the test or the results will be unreliable.

You already started another prev-pac and you are one week into the coures. i think the best way of action is to continue the course for another week and then check this urea breath test after 4 weeks of finishing the course since the prev-pac contains an antibiotic as well and patients should be off all antibiotics for at least 4 weeks. if the test comes back negative this means that the bug has been eliminated. If it comes back positive this means that you still have the bug in your system and you need more treatment. There are lots of medication regimens for elimination of H. pylori.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:38 pm

dose it run in the family how do i know if it runs in the family or not
 satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:39 pm

satin_angel63 wrote:dose it run in the family
h-pylroi
 satin_angel63 - Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:08 pm

satin_angel63 wrote:dose it run in the family how do i know if it runs in the family or not
where do it get this from or how do u get it
 johncav - Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:45 am

heres a forum for peeps with H. pylori.

http://65.18.197.103/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here