News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lower abdominal pain, altered bowel movements, back pain

ck85 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 am

I am a 23 yesr old white british female and I have always had digestive problems having had my gall bladder removed in 2004 and sympton diagnosed a coeliac a year later. Over the past 10 weeks I have been experiencing some pains but first I'll give med history over past few months. Please note I work in the Maldives and medical care is ok but I'm not totally happy.

Sept 2008 pain in tummy, nausea, vomiting a few times, general unwell feeling and vaginal discharge and burning with urinating. Diagnosed with UTI and put on antibiotics. No help. After finally seeing several gynae doctors here and a high vaginal swab done (not in the most hygenic of conditions!) severe growth of E.coli was found. Put on antibiotics again. Went home to UK and my doctor changed antibuiotics as e.coli result showed it was resistant to lots of things. Swabs repeated few weeks later, e.coli gone. Pain left in lower tummy/ bladder area above pubic bone. Doctor in UK diagnosed possible interstitial cystitis and put me on a 2 month low grade antibiotic (1 tablet a day) as I had to go back to Maldives. Please note whilst at home I visited sexual health clinic and had full swabs and bloods taken, all negative for STDs.

Pain over last 10 weeks getting worse. Pain is just above pubic bone area (sometimes get itching) in lower tummy/ bladder area. Sometimes pain is onesided in groin area always right side. I have been told in past I had 3 white looking cysts on cervix which when pressed by doc would hurt in same groin place but had frozen a couple of years ago. I feel like vomiting sometimes and my appitie has become slightly suppressed. I make sure I stay clear of wheat and gluten but my diet here tends to lack in fresh vegetables which I eat alot at home but I do get fruit and meat and some veg. Symptom list is:

Pain just above pubic bone area, feels like in bladder

Stomach cramps, sometimes bad (like period pain)

Nausea

Altered bowel movements (one day lose, next day constipation, not like me)

Dark stools and smelly (not usually me!)

Sometimes the tummy cramps so bad my stools very thing and in sections like where bowel spasms

Tummy bloating

Back ache (middle of back)

Sometimes pain in groin area

Itching along lower abdomen/ pubic bone area

Vaginal discharge (I’ve had this for years!)

Sometimes slight burning from discharge or when urinating

General feeling of being unwell inc. headaches, tiredness, fatigue, irritable

Please help as I reallt have no medical care here. I have made arrangements to visit a hospital in Thailand but the manager of the result will not let me and a freind go and I am too scared to go alone. Not sure if gynae, gastro or urinary problem.

Thanks for your time and help
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 pm

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for giving a very detailed account of your problem.
I see that you have been investigated extensively for UTI,STD's and Gynecological problems.
As you are working in the tropical zone,i would like to bring to your attention some of the causes of abdominal symptoms which are often overlooked...
- intestinal helminthiasis
- intestinal parasites (such as giardiasis, amebiasis etc)
All these are capable of causing chronic (or acute) gastrointestinal symptoms- some of them, even as gynecological symptoms.
Have your stool tested (repeatedly). Ideally fresh stool samples should be tested (may be missed otherwise).Other tests are also available if necessary.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here