Question: Rectal pain after ostomy bag and tumor debulking

abrnosk - Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am

I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer at a stage IIIC and 2 of the larger tumors breeched into the colon and into the small intestines. I had the tumor debulking surgery and due to the blockage and my weight the surgeon gave me an ostomy bag temporarily and removed part of my small intestines. I have since recovered from what I called the surgery pain, however since then I have had pain in my rectal area and was told to speak to a gastoenterologist. Sometimes its nagging and sometimes it brings me to my knees. Sometimes tucks pads relieve the pain for a small moment and a heating pad does the same. I have passed 5 small staples and had a C-scan and was told the tissue was eroding where the staples were placed on the colon and there is not another tumor in this area. I also was told and read in my surgery report that they tore my rectum during the surgery, but the surgery was 3 1/2 months ago, so its hard to believe that is where the pain is coming from. This surgery was done at a hospital that I would rate a step above *MASH* and I would rather not go back. I believe that I would feel a lot better if I could get to the bottom of this pain. I am on a special diet, mainly a vegetarian one, but with everything being redirected its hard to believe its that either. I do produce quiet a bit of mucus from the rectum, which I read was part of it.

I have not received conventional treatment for the cancer, I went to a more natural facility in another state. I am giving myself injections of B17 through my pic line 5 times a week and that seems to make it worse but I am not sure if it is making the pain worse or counter acting with the pain medication.

I guess my question is what is the pain from? I read also that sometimes with ostomy bags you experience colon spasm that cause discomfort but this is more than discomfort. Any possiblities would be a big help!
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:47 pm

My sincere prayers and sympathy are with you. Rectal pain is awful. Since you said you pass alot of mucous from your rectum and that it was torn during the surgery that makes that area very hard to heal ( even without passing stool.) Moisture of any kind impedes healing and I only have a few suggestions. When you hurt have you tried sitz baths, did they say you could do this since it's been a while since your surgery (make sure it's okay with your doctor first) And afterward dab dry and use a blow dryer on cool to dry completely. Something so simple as warm water can be a real comfort. Also there are creams with a lidocaine base (a numbing agent) that your doctor can recommend . That is wonderful news that the scan showed NO tumor in the area. There is always the possibiliy that spasming is occuring which can be very painful. Are you scheduled any time soon to have the ostomy reversed? please let us know how you're doing !
Blessings to you
PS - I really dislike the word "discomfort" to me that's when my head isn't on the pillow quite right :) Anytime such delicate tissues are damaged there is PAIN !

|