News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: LUQ pain and swelling (upper left quadrant of abdomen)

Lestat - Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 am

Hello, i am a 26 year old female. For the last several months i have been having pain in my LUQ. it started off near the belly button and the pain would be occasional and only lasting a few days. It progressed to constant pain under the ribcage with twinges of pain in the original area as well as the left flank and left side of the back. I have had an H.Pylori test done and it came out negative. I went to the doctor and they placed me on Nexium which dimished the pain slightly, ended the constant pain, but i still have sudden stabs that last from seconds to hours. I have had slight swelling for the last three weeks to which the doctor attributed to me rubbing the area. I have also had light-headedness, dizziness and fatigue. I have not fainted or vomited and i have no fever. Everyone keeps telling me its probably gallstones, but i don't believe that to be the case.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

There are a number of things that need to be ruled out here, and gallbladder problems is one of them. Even though classic gallbladder pain is felt in the URQ, there are occasional paradoxical presentations. So that's one.

Has your doctor palpated your spleen and/or done any blood work to rule out anything involving your spleen? Having rubbed a painful abdominal area hardly seems a plausible cause for swelling of the area.

With lightheadedness, fatigue and abdominal pain and swelling, one other thing that should be ruled out is mono and related viral diseases that could affect the spleen.

Finally, this could be simple irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and if so, the way this is determined by ruling out everything else. It is treated symptomatically. Notice it's at the bottom of the list. Those other things are far more important to rule out, and I'm sure I could think of yet other less serious causes that could be ruled in or out and treated, but we're working at a distance, and these things I've mentioned are, I believe, the most important to be ruled out. I believe in ruling out the most serious potential problems first, then working down to the simpler ones, unless something is completely obvious. Without appropriate tests, very few things are that obvious

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here