News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Abnormal levels of GGT and ALT

xray24pacs - Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:54 am

Hi Doctor,

I had a Lver function Blood test done recently and the results showed some abnormal findings .

The results were :

Billirubin Total 7 umol/l
Alkaline Phosphate 91 units
GGT 80 units
ALT 78 units

AST 29 IU/l
Proteins total 81 g/l
Albumin 52 g/l
Total Globulin 29 g/l

I am an occasional drinker with an average 3 drinks per week.I do have mild constipation problem since 2-3 years now. Don't exercise regularly but active at work.

I am bit concerned about the abnormal GGT and ALT levels in blood.

My question is what could be the reason for these higher levels, how big is the problem and how can it be controlled.

Would appreciate if you could advise and thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pavneet
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

User avatar Hello --

Elevated GGT and ALT is usually associated with bile duct injury. This can be due to various disease processes, but very often is caused by gallbladder disease and/or passage of gall stones through the duct. However, your levels aren't grossly elevated, just enough to warrant a followup look. You don't mention any other symptoms, so I don't even know why the test was performed. If you've had any symptoms that might suggest gallbladder or liver disease, it would be helpful to know what they might be. You certainly don't appear to drink enough to have caused damage directly from drinking -- unless done in combination with certain medications or if you already had known liver disease.

Assuming none of those things are so, you probably don't have a significant problem. If there's more to the story, please let us know.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here