Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Gilbert's syndrome,nausea

christakis - Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello,you will have to excuse my english as it's not my native language.
I was diagnosed with Gillbert by the exclusion methods,was tested three times and only indirect bilirubin results have been abnormal.I was exposed to severe stress and hardships 3 months ago,had horrible bouts of nausea,with occasional vomitting and somewhat manageable pain under my right ribs,where the gallbladder is supposed to be.I have been examined for gallstones and the result was negative,and my liver size is also normal.I have been also diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome,with mucosal discharged with little blood last june,colonoscopy,but no infection,only clusters of mucus.The anxiety attacks usually occur at 7 pm or around that time,and i have progressed in managing them.I don't smoke,drink,do drugs or pharmaceuticals,i eat moderately,but from time to time experience galbladder spasms and light panic attacks during the day.I have lost 12 pounds in the last 3 months,eating small meals to avoid nausea,drinking lots of water and exercising.I'm in an exceptional physical shape(gymnastics) but i do not strain my body too hard,only train twice a week.I also had severe stomach spasms early in the morning a month ago,after a long nightshift.I have been avoiding spices,greasy foods and dairy,but my condition is improving very slowly with the pannic attacks reoccurring ever few weeks,quite unexpectedly.I also avoid sweets and artificial sweeteners.I'm about to become a father soon aswel.So my question is,do you know of anything other,that is some kind of a lifestyle change that can improve my condition?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:47 pm

It appears you're doing remarkably well so far, but of course the main thing that will need attention is learning to manage stress, as it cannot altogether be avoided. With the arrival of a new baby, the change is a stressor, as are most major changes, whether good or bad. You're probably suffering some residual post traumatic stress syndrome symptoms from the recent distressing events, so the best thing you can do for yourself, since you're living very healthily in general, is to continue to work on your awareness of how panic attacks begin, so you can recognize the onset and nip them in the bud. If you haven't already, you might also consider adding an antianxiety medication specific to panic disorder, such as alprazolam (for managing things short-term) or clonazepam for long-term control of symptoms. If you'd prefer to avoid the drug route, more power to you.

I find it very interesting that panic attacks tend to come on around 7:00 PM, and you might consider what connection there could be between this time and the onset of attacks. It also gives you a target time for practicing relaxation techniques.

Other than that the only thing I can think of that you're not already doing (or maybe you are?) is to avoid caffeine, at least for the short term. With the baby coming you'll need to work on your overall flexibility and learn to adapt to a new schedule, which doesn't have to be terribly stressful, but just the new person in the house will be somewhat stressful at first, so just take it into consideration. It seems otherwise you're doing great already. Just keep up the good work!

|