Question: 24 year old with severe nausea and stomach cramps for 6 year

tabbycat2484 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:26 am

I am 24 years old.My nausea began 6 years ago after I ate at a restaurant.I came home and about 7 hours later threw up.The nausea after that never completly went away.I then moved to another state and started getting headaches that wouldn't go away.A couple of years later I started getting severe lower abdominal cramps,bleeding anal fissures,occasional mucus when I felt I needed to go to the bathroom,and several times I felt like I needed to go all I got was something that looked like orange baby oil.My stomach rumbles alot and I get gas pains.My nausea can be really bad but I don't vomit.I went to a doctor one time.He did a CT scan and said he saw what he called"slug" in my gallbladder.My stools most of the time come out hard and when I wipe my perineum is torn and bleeding.I have no blood in my stool that I can see.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am

Let me address the bowel problem first because you say this problem occured a couple of years later than the initial nausea and the headaches occured some time after the nausea. First of all, if the nausea never went away after eating at a particular eating establishment, I would think it unrelated to the place you ate.
Food poisoning, if that is the suspect for you, would not continue to cause nausea for years after eating there.

You said you went to the doctor "one time" and he found some problem with the gallbladder. I would urge you to go again soon. The symptoms of the mucous like stools and the oily type substance you mention would point to a possible problem with the digestion of fatty substances. (which the gallbladder plays a big role).
Do the nausea/pain/abnormal stools occur after eating a high fat meal? Such as fried foods, fatty type meats, gravies etc...? This might point to a gallbladder problem also.

Now concerning the "hard stools" I would question constipation? Do you take a stool softener? The hard stools especially if large, will cause some bleeding at times from the rectal area from hemorrhoids or from trauma to the anal tissue. Consider increasing your fiber intake and water intake for this problem. A simple stool softener would not hurt either.

The headaches would seem unrelated to all this since they stared after the initial problem with nausea. Now we can relate nausea and headaches if they occur at the same time. This could mean something like migraine headaches because some people will get nausea with migraines. (these are severe headaches that are very unlike a normal run of the mill headache). Also nausea accompanying a headache should really be evaluated quickly as it could mean some type of pressure on the brain which would be an emergency. PLEASE see a doctor to sort all of this out as soon as possible. And IF you ever get a headache that is accompanied by nausea, head to the ER just to be sure it is not something dangerous.

I am curious about the nausea and wonder if this is actually an overproduction of stomach acids. Please also keep in mind that smoking can increase stomach acid production and/or cause nausea.

Many questions you have here. I have tried my best with my own knowledge to sort through it. PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR ASAP. I can only guess as to what this may all be and guess as to the relation or non relation of all the different symptoms.
There is no substitute for seeing a physician in person when it comes to your health.

Best wishes,
Debra Van Ness RN

|