Question: painless bloody stools (4 times)

tadbitworried - Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Hey Doctor,

I'm an 18 year old female and noticed today that there was blood on my stool (small bullet of red embedded in one of them only). My monthly period also started today. I'm not sure if I'm perhaps confusing it with my period blood, but when i wipe seperately, they both show on the toilet paper. It's a moderate amount of blood (maybe a little bit more, like that of period blood).

About a week and a half ago, before my period, there was blood in my stool also (similar to the one described above). They was a small dot of red on one of my stools and when I wiped there was also that same amount of blood. In total, with the exception of today's (maybe I made an error?), it has occured for a total of 3 times previously (with a gap of time between them:1~2 years and has the duration of only one defecation).

The blood is bright red, the stool looks (light-medium brown) and comes out normally, there is no pain involved, and I'm not sexually active.

Since it has happened quite a few times already, I'm a bit concerned. My mom claims its because I've been eating unhealthily (junk food, processed food, and the likes) and says it'll go away with some herbal tea. I recently started exercising daily 3 weeks ago and have increased my intake of water...except for today (stomach hurt because I ate lunch very late) and the 3rd time it happened (lots of fast food).

I am considering a visit to my doctor (very very uneasy) but waiting to see if it continues over the next few days.

Any idea on what it might most likely be (i've looked up the possibilities) and if its serious? What should I do?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Jen
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:07 am

Jen,
Most of the time in someone your age rectal bleeding will be caused by hemorrhoids but very rarely something else can be going on and the only one who can really determine exactly what the cause is is your Doctor. You mentioned you were very uneasy about seeing your physician. Is it because of the exam itself? I believe most of us are embarassed to some degree when we are exposed and examined. Just remember health care providers are usually very sensitive to your feelings during such an examination and they are professionals, there to help you.
They may let someone come in with you if you are really frightened, just ask.
I wish you the best and hope you will follow up with your doctor
peace,

|