News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: High Bilirubin Enzyme level!!!Please help!!

Sebby718 - Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:07 am

I have a 4.0 mg/dl level of TOT Bilirubin and a 0.9 mg/dl of DIR (direct?) Bilirubin.
My doctor performed an ultra scan and ran hepatitis tests on my Liver,but she found nothing wrong! I am due back at her office for another appointment next week.Can someone please tell me if i should still worry?What are the causes of having such a high bilirubin level?And does that mean i have a 3.1 mg/dl of INDIRECT Bilirubin?
Please help!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:31 pm

User avatar Dear Sebby718,
An elevation of bilirubin levels of 4.0 is abnormal. Because your bilirubin is mainly indirect it is suggestive of hemolytic anemia. You should have a blood count performed and a reticulocyte count. Once hemolysis is established, the cause is determined using the clinical history, Coombs' test and red cell morphology on blood smear.

For a more thorough understanding please visit our anemia/anemia2.htm" class="postlink">hemolytic anemia page.

Best regards,
 Laurie Ann - Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 am

Just wanted to offer a suggestion, or rather my experience. I am not a doctor or healthcare provider, so don't take my word as the gospel. I have had an elevated biillirubin count (not sure of the numbers) but it only happens during a fasting blood test. the first time it happened my then Doctor was a little concerned. After going for a second opinion that docotor concluded that I had something called Gilbert's disease (syndrome) and told me I needn't worry about it, that it is a genetic disorder and shouldn't really cause me any problems. Most times since then, my levels have been normal. Try not to worry too much, but keep an eye on it, by all means.
Laurie
ps I think you can search engine Gilbert's and get an idea for what it is.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here