Question: Bright Red colored blood in bowel movement

markscott0102 - Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi, I am a 33 year old man who has lived with Type 1 Diabetes for 20 years now, with no major complications. I expirenced a small amount of bright red blood in one of my stools last week. Just today I expirienced it once again. This time it was not only on the toilet tissue, but it was also visibly mixed with the stool. I know who ever answers this will tell me to see my doctor, but with the information given, can we rule out Cancer or a possible colostamy bag. There is no discomfort out of the norm associated with these bowel movements. The only meds I take currently is insulin shots and 1 37.5 mg pill a day of phentermine. Oh, I almost forgot. I am a straight heterosexual male, with a very active sex life.

Thanks,

Mark
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm

there is no way to rule anything out without seeing a doctor. I can try to ease your mind by telling you that some of the time hemorrhoids will be found as the cause of the bleeding, however even with evidence of hemorrhoids you will still be referred to a GI doc for a colonoscopy. This is needed to see if there are any abnormal growths or tissue in there that also may be causing the blood you see. Screening for colon Cancer begins at age 50 unless you have a family history then it's 40. The procedure itself is very simple and takes less than an hour. There may be something in there that could be easily removed during the procedure. So you knew what the answer would be. You definitely need to see your doctor.
peace

|