Question: MUCUS STOOL, No real BM, just mucus only

dniam - Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:47 pm

My husband has been having odd BM's for several weeks now. He described them as "mucusy" so I thought he had mucus in his stool. When we talked further, I found out that there is no fecal matter coming out, only mucus. It is mostly clear but a bit cloudy. He goes several times a day, and cannot remember when he had an actual BM. He feels some bloating but not really constipated, but he hasn't had a BM in weeks. What can be causing this?
 maya6 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm

I am having these exact same symptoms, and this has been going on for about a month now. I tried asking my mom about it, and this was around a time that I wasn't eating much, so she said it was because of lack of food. Now though, I am eating normally and am still having these symptoms. I don't have any insurance to go get checked out, so if your husband does figure out what is going on, could you let me know if it's not too much trouble? I am worried that it may turn into something serious since it's been like this for a month.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 am

Thank you for your post.I am not aware of which part of the world you are from.Passage of mucus in the stool occurs in a number of conditions - in many cases accompanied by diarrhea or blood.
In your husband's case, you say that he is passing purely mucus.
This could be due to local causes such as internal hemorrhoids, proctitis, polyps or parasitic diseases such as amebiasis(in case you are living in the tropics or sub-tropics.
It is important however to exclude other causes such as malignant growths of the rectum and anal canal (in particular, the villous tumors which secrete copious amounts of mucus).
Therefore, you must get your husband examined by a surgeon who in all probability will perform a DRE(Digital rectal examination), proctoscopy,have your stool tested initially before moving on to fiberoptic sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy if indicated.Good luck!

|