Question: diarrhea for longer than four weeks

Kirsty_Oz - Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:12 pm

Hello again,

as the title of this topic suggests i have had diarrhea for longer than four weeks- in all honesty i can recall having regular diarrhea since september. more often than not it is fairly sudden the urge to use the toilet and has become quite troublesome, as it was interupting my time in class- having to rush out to go to the loo, work (i work in a shopping centre and i can have good days where in an eight hour shift i only have to go to the toilet twice, or bad days where in a five hour shift i went five or so times)
most of the time now when i pass faeces, it is usually small amount, with little shape. i can not recalled having a normally formed stool for probably two months. my symptoms include
- tiredness (which could also be associated with the walk to and from the toilet so frequently or working many days in a row due to christmas.... i work partime in retail. there have been some days where i have slept for about 18-20 hours)
- diarrhea since september
- on and off bloating
- excessive dry skin around my face and lips

i am keeping my fluids up, have experimented with my food (ie removing products with lactose in my diet to see the effect) but still notice this problem. lately i have noticed fruits- whether juice or the actually fruit causing me grief ( i know they have fibre etc...)

the main reason for writing is, i was interested in how i can resolve this or what conditions i could investigate ? could i have coeliac disease? my brother (17, also a diabetic), cousin 8, and uncle 45 all have coeliac disease, and all recently diagonsed (this year), and all barr my young cousin were asymptomatic. (her symptom was stomach pain after eating for example a bowl of pasta)
(i havent been to a doctor since i was 2001, i only go when it is absolutly necessary)

i appreciate your help in advance.

it seems i also wrote about this subject in early september. Click here!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:42 am

User avatar Hi Kirsty_Oz,
Typically with celiac disease the stools tends to appear greasy, light tan or light grey in color, and tends to float in the toilet bowl. Oil droplets (undigested fat) also may be seen floating on top of the water. The stool is very foul smelling. My question is: back in September were you exposed to anyone with any infections? There also is a condition that comes to mind called Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In this condition you avoid eating insoluble fiber alone (whole wheat, seeds, nuts, pineapple, oranges, lemons, limes etc.) These should be consumed with a larger amount of soluble fiber found in (bananas, rice, oatmeal etc.) There are many conditions that cause diarrhea from infections, viruses and contaminated food and water etc. Since you have had long term episodes with diarrhea I would suggest an evaluation be done.
 Kirsty_Oz - Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:20 am

yes they are consistantly light tan in colour and float.
i have saught a dr's advice, all other tests ok (iron, lft, haemoglobin, elctrolytes etc) coeliac will be in by the end of the week.

to answer your q's
- not near anyone with a noticeable infection
- no constipation which makes me question IBS

thanks for your advice so far.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:12 am

User avatar Hi Kirsty_Oz,
I'm glad to hear an evaluation is being done. Good luck to you. Keep us posted and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com

|