Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: What could cause fluctuating AST and ALT levels?

Mali - Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm

My Husband is in a correctional facility. He was recently informed that his Liver levels were "off" and asked if he had ever tested positive for Hepitis C. He had not so they tested him. That test came back Neg. He was told this by a phycologist who had access to his medical record. He was never called back to the Doctor for furthur treatment but, was informed by the Phycologist that his AST and ALT levels has been inconsistant for quite some time. I don't havr the exact numbers but He was told what "normal' is and that over the past 14 months his have not been within "normal" they have gone back and forth between Very high and Low. Like I said I don't have exact levels but one of them was 92 the last time he was tested on Dec. 12, 2008.
My husband is 34 Years Old. 6and a half feet tall. aprox 265lbs. He Drank alcohol occasionaly for about 4 years and HEAVILY for about 6 months but, has not consumed ANY alcohol for over 2 years. He Smoked 1 pack of cigaressts a day for about 6 years but, quit smoking completely about 6 months ago. He has consumed some street drugs, rarely smoking marijuanna (about 20 times total) but, did "snort" cocaine daily for about 2 years. He occasionally took prescription opiats (vicoden, persocet) and barbiturates (xanax, klonopin) Again he has not consumed ANY drugs in at least 2 years.
I'm worried about these levels and am hopeing for some clue as to what could be wrong! He will be comming home soon and I'd like to know how Serious of a problem this may be or this may turn into so that I can try to research Doctors in our area (and insurance network(= ) to help treat whatever this may be.
ANY insight would be GREATLY appreciated
Thank you, in advance for your time
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

I would like to know if your husband is on any presciption medications now. Many medicines can affect liver enzymes and can many disease processes. Let us know.
Im also curious, did they run a complete hepatitis panel?
 Mali - Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes, His hep. pannel was completed and it all came back neg. He is not currently on any prescription medicines. He has not been on any for about a year. He was on seriquil for about 6 months. but, got off of that in June of 2008

|