Question: History of ovarian cancer and colon cancer…..

kjcastro9 - Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I am 36 years old. In 2000 I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (now I am ok) and I am taking Hormonal Replacement Therapy. My grandmother had colon cancer. I have always had sensitive bowel, it is normal for me to have loose bowel motions up to three times every day, with a minimum of 2 and maximum of 5. My primary doctor sent me to a gastroenterology because I had fat around the liver, the gastroenterology told me that I need to lose weight ( my weight is 170 and height 5’ 2”) because he cannot do anything else about it. However, he wants to practice a colonoscopy based on my history of cancer, the colon cancer of my grandmother and my bowel movements. First, he said that I will need a colonoscopy every 5 years after my 40’s. But now he wants to practice me one, but I do not see any good reason to this procedure. I do not have any abdominal pain, vomit, nausea, diarrhea or bleeding. Could you give me an advice? Do I need a colonoscopy?
Thank you, I appreciate your help
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 pm

YES , you most definitely need to have a colonoscopy. Family history is enough of a reason for you to have one. You have been through alot already so I can understand your hesitation. I noticed you said your doctor wanted to "practice" on you. Do you feel that your physician is inexperienced, do you trust him ? Ask him about his experience, that's your right. If you don't feel comfortable with him then find someone else but you really should have one done. Colon cancer is one fo the preventable cancers we have out there right now. Colon cancer is kind of silent in the beginning , when you start having symptoms it has usually advanced considerably so the key is early detection. Getting out any polyps now will greatly reduce the chances of you ever getting it. The procedure itself is very safe and for you the most unpleasant part will be the bowel prep the day before to cleanse your bowel. You will receive sedation for the procedure so you should be comfortable and should be in and out of the facility in a few hours , if that ! I hope you take my recommendation to go ahead with the procedure. I see all the misery it saves everyday ....I am an endoscopy nurse.
peace and blessings to you !

|